Owned by the same Idaho family for nearly 50 years, the Y-3 Ranch is a longstanding, year-round cattle operation located in the lower Wood River Valley 30 miles south of Ketchum and the resort amenities of Sun Valley. The ranch consists of three separate units totaling 2,375± deeded acres plus an adjoining 600± acre state grazing lease. Combining productive sprinkler irrigated cropland and reliable summer pasture, the operation has historically supported 350± breeding cows and is currently running 200±.
Spread across 1,559± deeded acres, the headquarters unit for the Y-3 lies a mile north of Stanton Crossing and US Highway 20 in a very private setting bordered by the ranch’s state lease, lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management, and two other private ranches, including one covered by a conservation easement. Water resources at the headquarters are diverse and feature a half-mile of the Big Wood River, a 1.5± acre trout pond, and multiple springs and stock tanks. There are approximately 450 acres under irrigation with 375± acres of cropland irrigated by multiple wheel lines and a single center pivot. Ranch and residential improvements include a four-bedroom owner’s home, the original two-story farmhouse, employee housing units, equipment storage, machine shop, hay barns with covered feed bunks, and cattle-handling facilities with certified scales. Elk, deer, antelope, and moose call the headquarters home, while trout fishing is available in the river and pond. The headquarters is located in hunt unit 48 and the Smokey-Bennett elk management zone and qualifies for a landowner appreciation program tag for controlled big game hunts.
The East Magic and Timmerman units are located a short distance from the headquarters and are utilized during summer months for pasture and hay production. The 176± acre Timmerman tract lies along State Highway 75 three miles southeast of the headquarters and 15 miles south of the airport in Hailey. The property features 55± acres of irrigated pasture and cropland and an additional four acres of irrigated land managed as a tree farm planted with conifers. A 55± acre dry pasture with a seasonal spring and stock pond is located west of the irrigated lands. The Timmerman parcel also encompasses a set of older buildings currently used for employee housing purposes. Five miles southwest of Timmerman is the 640± acre East Magic unit. This unimproved parcel features strong native grasses and stock water resources that support early season grazing. Depending on annual moisture conditions and management objectives, East Magic supports 50-100 pairs for May and June before cattle are moved to Timmerman for the remainder of the summer. East Magic is easily accessible from Highway 75 on a year-round county road, and there is power to the property servicing a stock well. East Magic and Timmerman reside in hunt unit 52 and the Smokey-Bennett elk management zone and together qualify for a landowner appreciation program tag.
All three units of the Y-3 Ranch offer excellent building locations with elevated views north across the Wood River Valley to Bald Mountain, Kelly Mountain, and the peaks of the Pioneer Range. Boating, water skiing, and fishing are nearby on Magic Reservoir, and the area is home to a number of destination trout streams as well as excellent big game hunting and wingshooting for waterfowl and upland birds. Sun Valley, with its world-class skiing, fine dining and shopping, and excellent golf courses, is located just a half-hour north of the ranch.
Just the Facts
- 2,375± deeded acres in three separate tracts plus an adjoining 600± acre State of Idaho grazing lease
- Located 30 miles south of Ketchum/Sun Valley with easy access from public roads
- Owned and operated as a year-round cattle ranch by the same family for nearly 50 years
- Traditionally supports 350± breeding cows and running 200± currently
- Adjudicated surface and groundwater rights for 514.7 acres with 425± acres of sprinkler irrigated cropland
- Half-mile of frontage on the Big Wood River as well as a 1.5± acre trout pond and various springs and stock tanks
- Full set of functional ranch and residential improvements
- Surrounded by federal and state lands and other private ranches
- Foothill setting offering numerous building sites with elevated views across the Wood River Valley
- Within hunt units 48 and 52 and the Smokey-Bennett elk management zone
- Strong conservation easement potential
- Annual property taxes are approximately $7,360
- Timmerman and East Magic units are available for purchase individually. Please visit hallandhall.com for more information on these offerings.