Las Piletas Ranch is a 13,570± deeded acre working cattle ranch in the hills that rise on the west side of the Carrizo Plain. The landscape is a diverse topography with flat lands, unique and curious rock formations, oak woodlands, canyons, and rangelands rising into the La Panza Mountain Range. One of the most extraordinary features of this ranch is the presence of a large waterfall on one of the creeks flowing through the property. The ranch is comprised of two large units connected by a BLM lease. Current operations involve leasing 1,250± acres to a local barley farmer while the owner maintains a herd of cattle. Historically, the ranch has run 350 cows on a year-round basis. Wildlife populations are strong including deer, bear, turkey, quail, wild boar and antelope. The area surrounding the ranch is home to a resident herd of tule elk as well. Located in San Luis Obispo County, the property is easy to access and is about one hour east of the 101 between Santa Margarita and McKittrick. The I-5 is one hour to the east. Drive time to Los Angeles is approximately two-and-one-half hours and the city of San Luis Obispo is one hour away.
Just the Facts
- 13,570± deeded acres
- 1,250± acres of cropland
- 2,250+ acres of BLM Lease
- 779± acres of USFS grazing permits
- Adjacent to Los Padres National Forest
- Excellent wildlife populations including deer, turkey, quail, bear, wild boar, antelope, and even the occasional tule elk
- Functional set of improvements include two homes, shop/office, equipment barn, horse stalls, hay storage
- 14 wells (10 active) and 8 stock tanks (permits for 3 more)
- Reservoirs and ponds
- Wide-ranging views
- 1 hour to San Luis Obispo and 2.5 hours to Los Angeles
- Interactive maps available here.
Acreage (Deeded & Leased)
Deeded Acres: 13,570±
BLM Leased Acres: 2,250±
Other Leased Acres: 779±
Total Leased Acres: 3,029±
Total Acres: 16,599±
All but less than a thousand acres of the ranch are presently in California’s Williamson Act which preserves its low tax status as an agricultural property.
Las Piletas Ranch has a modest and functional set of improvements well suited to a ranch operation. Improvements include the following:
- Main Home - Approximately 1,500 square feet with three bedrooms and two baths
- Caretaker Home - The caretaker home is exactly the same floor plan as the main home
- Four small guest cabins - Each of these cabins are approximately 400 square feet and have kitchenettes and baths
- Shop and vehicle storage - This structure measures 24 x 114 feet
- Shop and office - This structure is divided into a 500± sq. ft. office, a 500± sq. ft. shop and 3,000± sq. ft. of storage on the ground floor; there is also 1,000± square feet of loft storage
- Climate controlled storage - This storage facility can be used to protect environmentally sensitive property such as artwork or other valuables; there are three separate rooms, each with a private door
- Horse stalls - three are under a roof and one is outside; there are a variety of corrals and paddocks
- Squeeze chutes - There are two squeeze chutes on the property – one on the north unit and one on the south
- Hay barn
- Equipment barn (80’x120’)
- Various sheds
- Enclosed campground bath facility with two private baths, each with a toilet, sink and shower
There is an inventory of personal property including equipment that will be made available for purchase separately. This list includes vehicles, heavy equipment & furniture.
Leases and Permits
Other PropertiesMore Like This
“Guns, bear spray and handsaws: These aren’t the tools of your average luxury real-estate agent. But ranch brokers like Mr. Murphy, a Bozeman-based partner at Hall & Hall, occupy a unique and increasingly challenging niche in the world of multimillion-dollar property.”
“When it was time to invest in a ranch for our family, we knew we needed to work with Hall and Hall. The expertise is unsurpassed.”
In 1988, Joel Leadbetter became a partner at Hall and Hall where he has been instrumental in completing complicated, high-profile deals such as the recent sale of Texas’ historic 512,000-acre Waggoner Ranch.
“The professionalism, preparation, and overall positive demeanor exhibited… were truly impressive… I have never before worked with a more dedicated, knowledgeable, and level-headed sales professional.”
I had been looking for the right property for several years and Elliott Davenport’s insight into the quail plantation market and his ability to think strategically was instrumental in helping me find our new place. Elliott was helpful on all technical aspects of contracting and due diligence. His post closing help with hiring and contractors made the process much easier as well.
I have purchased 4 ranches through Hall and Hall over the past 20 years, and there is simply no other team in the world like them. They have navigated complexity, professionally attended to every detail, operated with fairness and integrity, and demonstrated an unwavering commitment to me– whether representing me or the person on the other side of the deal.