Located in one of the most scenic areas of southern Colorado is the 6,300± deeded acre Moonshine Ranch. Famously named after historical accounts of Al Capone’s days of bootlegging moonshine, the remnants of a turn of the century moonshine still remains on the ranch today. Most noted for its prolific rock upheavals and massive vertical dikes caused by thousands of years of plate tectonics, the incredibly charming town of La Veta is just 30 minutes from the ranch. Moonshine Ranch is a recreational paradise, remote – yet accessible, offering seclusion and privacy while being completely immersed in a true wilderness setting and home to abundant wildlife. The ranch landlocks 3,400± acres of BLM land increasing its total size to just under 10,000 total acres. Recognized for its exceptional wildlife habitat, natural ecosystem, shielding topography, and excellent management, the ranch is one of the finest big game hunting properties in the Western US. Improvements are not overdone, functional, and include a primary lodge, caretaker home, shop, cabin, and livestock facilities. This property offers a little bit of everything; rugged and undulating topography, water rights and irrigated land, several water catchments including ponds, dirt tanks and small lakes, numerous springs and seasonal creeks, a variety of vegetation, diverse landscape, extraordinary views, absolute privacy, and presents an opportunity to acquire a significantly sized ranch for the area. Important to note approximately 75 percent of the ranch was unfortunately burned in the 2018 Spring Creek Fire. The owner has invested over a million dollars in reclamation efforts including hiring a professional-grade fire restoration team, aerial and terrestrial seeding, mulching, refurbished roads, new culverts, and has implemented many other mitigation efforts to reestablish vegetation growth for wildlife. Additionally, the asking price of the ranch has been substantially reduced to its current asking price to reflect fire damage.
Just the Facts
- 6,300± deeded acres
- 3,400± acres of BLM (large amount of leased acreage inside boundary and controlled by ranch)
- Three hours from Denver and DIA
- La Veta is within a 30-minute drive, and Pueblo, featuring commercial air service is an hour away
- Accessed from County Roads 520, 530, 531, and 532
- Seasonal access ingress/egress agreement through neighbor off Highway 160
- 20 minutes from Green Mountain Wilderness Area
- 2015 owner’s residence featuring three bedrooms and three bathrooms
- 2013 manager’s home featuring three bedrooms and two bathrooms
- Cabin with room for eight featuring two bedrooms and two bathrooms
- Large, 120’X70’ shop with heat, indoor walk-in cooler, and two bay doors
- Equipment storage and corrals
- 200± irrigated acres and water rights
- Owner rated 200 cow/calf carrying capacity
- Inclusion of mineral rights
- Exceptional natural landscape and incredibly diverse topography
- Outstanding views of Silver Mountain, Mount Maestas, Rough Mountain, and Sheep Mountain
- Elk, mule deer, bighorn sheep, black bear, Merriam turkey, antelope, mountain lion, blue grouse and a variety of small game species
- Exceptional big game hunting** owner harvested 381 bull elk in 2017
- High volume of 340” bull elk and 180” mule deer bucks
- Located in Game Management Unit 85
- Several ponds and small lakes, water catchments, springs, seeps, and numerous seasonal drainages including South Oak and Yellowstone Creeks
- Elevation ranges from 7,500 to 10,000 feet
- Private, remote and secluded
- Highly unique area of Colorado in terms of aesthetic appeal due to prehistoric plate tectonics and massive rock upheavals
- Approximately 80 percent of the ranch was burned in 2018 mid-summer fires, owners have initiated extensive mitigation efforts with input of over $1,000,000 in restoration efforts
- New mulch, seeding, aerial seeding, removal of portions of dead timber, rebuilt roads and new culverts. (Additional information available upon request)
Other PropertiesMore Like This
“Most brokers have a strong sense of independence, so brokerages work around that, but Hall and Hall is not about the one working alone—their strength and longevity is built on the group, on the family,” explains Tyler Jacobs. “It’s the basic fundamentals and traditional values that we’ve thrived on since the company was founded back in 1946.”
Our Hall and Hall broker, Randy Shelton, kept us in the loop as though it were. Our sale hinged on that of larger surrounding parcels, and when an initial offer fell through, Randy went back to the drawing board and found a suitable buyer who shared our values. That meant a lot to us, as our property had been in the family for more than 100 years.
From the first time I walked through the door, I sensed Hall and Hall’s highest goals were to understand who I was and build a relationship, to understand what made my property special, and to find the buyer. Their discipline and focus was apparent. Throughout the entire process, their approach towards reality was different from the experiences I have had previously. Genuine would be the word I would use to describe everyone at Hall and Hall.
I interviewed 4 agents and selected Hall and Hall because of the agency’s reputation for expertise in high end ranch property and global marketing. I had the pleasure of working with Tim Murphy on the sale of a family property in the Paradise Valley, Montana. We believe he represented our family interests well and contributed to the integrity of the property by joining together buyer and seller and a shared love for this special place in our lives.
Bill McDavid was an outstanding and very patient partner in this sale. His expertise in the market and marketing of the property was excellent. I would use him again in a heartbeat to either buy or sell a ranch property.
“Guns, bear spray and handsaws: These aren’t the tools of your average luxury real-estate agent. But ranch brokers like Mr. Murphy, a Bozeman-based partner at Hall & Hall, occupy a unique and increasingly challenging niche in the world of multimillion-dollar property.”
“When it was time to invest in a ranch for our family, we knew we needed to work with Hall and Hall. The expertise is unsurpassed.”
In 1988, Joel Leadbetter became a partner at Hall and Hall where he has been instrumental in completing complicated, high-profile deals such as the recent sale of Texas’ historic 512,000-acre Waggoner Ranch.
“The professionalism, preparation, and overall positive demeanor exhibited… were truly impressive… I have never before worked with a more dedicated, knowledgeable, and level-headed sales professional.”
I had been looking for the right property for several years and Elliott Davenport’s insight into the quail plantation market and his ability to think strategically was instrumental in helping me find our new place. Elliott was helpful on all technical aspects of contracting and due diligence. His post closing help with hiring and contractors made the process much easier as well.
I have purchased 4 ranches through Hall and Hall over the past 20 years, and there is simply no other team in the world like them. They have navigated complexity, professionally attended to every detail, operated with fairness and integrity, and demonstrated an unwavering commitment to me– whether representing me or the person on the other side of the deal.
Having been in our family for 70 years, selling Loveridge was a big decision for our family and we needed the right person to walk us through this process. Elliott Davenport has exceeded our expectations and represented our family very well through this sale. His depth of knowledge for the Red Hills, his critical thinking, intimate understanding of the market, and honest approach has made this process very pleasant and rewarding for us. Simply, he gets it and that has served us very well.
Positioning a high-end Luxury Farm in the market to maximize Seller value requires a special set of skills along with a true understanding of the audience. Having a National presence and the knowledge of how to market into that audience is key to executing a successful transaction. Elliott Davenport of Hall & Hall and his team of seasoned professionals are uniquely qualified to deliver these results. They exceeded our expectations! We could not be more thrilled with their performance.