Located mere minutes from Deer Lodge, MT, but a world away from the hustle of modern life sits Burnt Hollow Ranch, a legacy holding if there ever was one. Spanning nearly 9,200 acres, the ranch occupies two counties with rich topographical diversity rarely found on the market today. From the verdant irrigated bottom ground near the ranch headquarters to the forested ridges and knobs, to the wide-open grassland benches, it’s easy to lose oneself inside a property that, quite literally, spans for miles.
Currently run as a cattle ranch with top-shelf residential amenities, the setting and operational components make Burnt Hollow Ranch ideal for both the experienced operator and ambitious hobbyist looking to dive headfirst into the western ranch lifestyle. Perched on a hillside above the operational hub is a masterpiece 8,774 square foot owner’s residence. The three-bedroom, five-bathroom home offers every modern amenity with expansive great room, bar, office, master suite, pool, attached garage, and detached four-bay shop with oversize 12-foot doors. In addition to the owner’s residence is a 4,186 square foot three-bedroom, four-bathroom guest home offering stunning views of the Deer Lodge Valley and Flint Mountain Range beyond. There are several additional residences for employees and guests, and two off-grid remote cabins, one newly completed.
Operationally, the ranch offers 200± acres of irrigated hay ground with 60± acres under pivot and both wheel line and flood watering the remainder. There are thousands of acres of fenced pasture complete with cross-fencing and water dispersed throughout the ranch. The main headquarters is tidy, functional, and complete, offering shops, equipment sheds, calving barns, a ranch office, working corrals, and squeeze chutes. In addition to the deeded ground, there are several state and forest service grazing leases totaling 4,800± acres and nearly 500 AUMs.
While the operational and residential improvements are notable, what sets Burnt Hollow Ranch apart is its vast and diverse topography and overall aesthetic. Flanking the east side of the Deer Lodge Valley in the shadows of the Continental Divide, Peterson Creek runs through a low rift providing a protected basin for ranch operations. The rift gives way to gently sloping hillsides to a vast bench that spans for miles bordering the US Forest Service for 7.75 miles. The open pastures to the north eventually give way to forested hillsides to the south and east covered in mixed coniferous forests and healthy aspen stands surrounding grassy meadows.
Elk, deer, bear, and a variety of other game and non-game species are abundant on the ranch and in the vast stretches of adjacent public ground. Located in HD 215, over-the-counter tags are available and permits have a fairly high success rate.
This is a unique holding offering an expansive, diverse, and private setting yet is exceptionally close to modern amenities and some of the best recreation Montana has to offer. Truly a western playground with unmatched comfort, operational efficiency, and western ambiance, Burnt Hollow Ranch is ready for new stewards to carry its legacy forward.
Just the Facts
- 9,174± deeded acres adjacent to the town of Deer Lodge, Montana, consisting of 30+ legal parcels
- Highly diverse topography with gullies, benches, hills, saddles, and knobs
- Diverse flora, including spectacular aspen groves, coniferous forests, and willowed riparian zones
- 200± acres irrigated, one pivot (60± acres), seven wheel lines, remainder flood
- 8,774 square foot three-bedroom owner’s residence with attached garage and detached shop, swimming pool, bar, open concept living/dining, and office.
- 4,186 square foot three-bedroom guest residence with open concept dining/living, master suite, game room, office plus a bonus space
- HD 215 with healthy populations of deer and elk
- Full complement of operational improvements including shops, equipment sheds, calving facilities, corrals, squeeze chute, and ranch office
- 7.75-mile forest service boundary
- Additional housing for employees
- 270 AUM forest service grazing lease
- Three state leases totaling 800± acres and 226 AUM
- Home furnishings and equipment available for purchase