Owned by the same family since 1957, the 3,359±deeded acre High Timber Ranch is located outside of Chama, New Mexico in the San Juan Mountain Range. This diverse holding sits 11 miles east of the community of Tierra Amarilla and combines premium land and numerous water resources with big views and quality improvements. Ownership here is enjoyable and uncomplicated by design.
Expansive and beautiful, the property rises from a cottonwood-lined trout stream to broad benches and mountain slopes with a mosaic of open parks, meadows, ponds, aspen groves, and vast stands of blue spruce and Douglas fir. This outstanding habitat is home to large populations of elk, mule deer, Merriam’s turkey, black bear, grouse, and a host of songbirds, raptors, and other small wildlife. Native cutthroat trout inhabit the 3.5 miles of Rito de Tierra Amarilla that courses through the property as well as 2 miles of a tributary stream. Sited in New Mexico’s famed Game Unit (GMU) 4 and enrolled in the Private Land Elk License (E-Plus) program, the ranch received 10 rifle bull elk, 6 either-sex archery, and 9 cow elk authorizations from the state for the 2019 season. Private land only deer licenses are also easily obtainable by utilizing the ranch’s designated authorization code and applying through an application process. In addition to its hunting and angling, the property is well-suited for limitless recreational activities including horseback riding, hiking, ATVing, snowmobiling, and cross country skiing. High Timber is well-grassed with mountain brome, native bluestem, as well as some timothy and clovers. Ownership balances livestock grazing with the needs of wildlife and conservatively stocks the ranch with up to 120 cow/calf pair or 600 yearlings during the summer season. The property is perimeter fenced with lay-down fencing and internally fenced into two primary pastures with two smaller traps. Shipping pens are well-located near the entrance.
This outstanding ranch is tastefully complemented with an attractive off-grid log owner’s cabin and smaller guest cabin. Year-round access is via paved highway and a series of private internal roads and trails provide access throughout the property. Offered in cooperation with David Dougherty of Dougherty Real Estate CO, LLC
Just the Facts
- Beautiful 3,359± deeded acre mountain holding in Rio Arriba County
- Mountain and valley floor views
- Year-round paved access via US Highway 64
- Two cabins. Contemporary off-grid log owner’s cabin: 1,600± square foot, two bedroom, two bath with large kitchen and living area; guest cabin: 500± square foot, two bedroom and one bath.
- 3.5 miles frontage on Rito de Tierra Amarilla with cutthroat trout
- 2 miles frontage on tributary stream with additional ephemeral creek
- Numerous springs and ponds
- Excellent elk and mule deer hunting with generous landowner hunting authorizations
- Conservatively stocked with 120± cow/calf pair or 600 yearlings
- Perimeter lay-down fencing, two large pastures and two smaller traps plus shipping pens
- Cattle and hunting leases in place with reputable tenants
- 11 paved miles east of Highway 84 and the community of Tierra Amarilla
- 25 paved miles south and east from the town of Chama
- 60 miles/1-hour drive west of Taos and Taos Regional Airport
- 72 miles/1 hour and 20-minute drive south of Pagosa Springs, Colorado and FBO at Stevens Field Airport
- 112 miles/2-hour drive north of Santa Fe and Santa Fe Regional Airport
- 132 miles/2 hour and 30 minute-drive south of Durango, Colorado and commercial air service at the Durango – La Plata County Airport
- 165 miles/3-hour drive north of Albuquerque and Albuquerque International Sunport Airport
- Unencumbered by conservation easements
- Owned by the same family since 1957
Other PropertiesMore Like This
Fence Lake RanchFence Lake, NM
Spanning 7,697± deeded and unimproved acres, this offering represents the unique opportunity to acquire a large and easily accessible acreage with quality rangeland and trophy big game hunting potential in western New Mexico’s GMU 12.
“Guns, bear spray and handsaws: These aren’t the tools of your average luxury real-estate agent. But ranch brokers like Mr. Murphy, a Bozeman-based partner at Hall & Hall, occupy a unique and increasingly challenging niche in the world of multimillion-dollar property.”
“When it was time to invest in a ranch for our family, we knew we needed to work with Hall and Hall. The expertise is unsurpassed.”
In 1988, Joel Leadbetter became a partner at Hall and Hall where he has been instrumental in completing complicated, high-profile deals such as the recent sale of Texas’ historic 512,000-acre Waggoner Ranch.
“The professionalism, preparation, and overall positive demeanor exhibited… were truly impressive… I have never before worked with a more dedicated, knowledgeable, and level-headed sales professional.”
I had been looking for the right property for several years and Elliott Davenport’s insight into the quail plantation market and his ability to think strategically was instrumental in helping me find our new place. Elliott was helpful on all technical aspects of contracting and due diligence. His post closing help with hiring and contractors made the process much easier as well.
I have purchased 4 ranches through Hall and Hall over the past 20 years, and there is simply no other team in the world like them. They have navigated complexity, professionally attended to every detail, operated with fairness and integrity, and demonstrated an unwavering commitment to me– whether representing me or the person on the other side of the deal.