Elm Creek Ranch is an oasis in the eastern Texas Panhandle that has been managed for wild quail for the past 20+ years by native Oklahoman and quail enthusiast Mal Mixon. The 3,112± acre ranch features a broad fertile valley along year-round live water Elm Creek that is flanked on either side by dramatic finger bluffs covered with strong stands of colorful native grasses, shrubs, and trees. Elevation change is approximately 300' from the bluffs to the creek bottom. Although managed primarily for quail by longtime current ownership, the property has large numbers of whitetail deer with big-bodied Kansas strain genetics, as well as Rio Grande turkey and waterfowl. A few deep pools along Elm Creek provide fishing options. Good interior roads and quail "courses" to approximately 150 feeders scattered throughout the ranch make the property accessible despite the topography in some areas. The property is being offered turn-key with all furnishings, rolling stock, equipment, vehicles and hunting accessories. Elm Creek ranch is offered separately and in conjunction with the 5,771.46 acre Washita River Hunting Ranch located approximately 50 minutes north, near Alison in Hemphill County. The offering is surface only and is subject to a conservation easement in favor of the Nature Conservancy. Elm Creek Ranch is truly one of the best hunting ranches and most scenic Texas ranches we have brought to market.
Just the Facts
- 3,112.5 ± acres in Collingsworth County, Texas.
- Year-round live water and fertile bottom land along Elm Creek.
- Approximately 300' of elevation change.
- Rock lodge and adjacent guest house sleep 10 in an idyllic setting along Elm Creek.
- Manager/owner's residence with approximately 1,800 square feet of living area constructed in 2010.
- 10 bay dog kennel with shop, equipment barn with lean to, cattle pens, and horse barn.
- Excellent whitetail deer hunting with big-bodied Kansas strain genetics.
- Offered turn-key with all furnishings, equipment, rolling stock, hunting vehicles and accessories.
- Excellent interior roads and quail "courses" with 150±quail feeders scattered throughout the property.
- Surface only, the owner has no mineral interest.
- Offered separately and in conjunction with the 5,771.46 acre Washita River Hunting Ranch in Hemphill County.
Intense habitat management and a conservation easement have served to make Elm Creek Ranch one of the best quail hunting properties in the Texas Panhandle enjoyed only by family and friends of the owner. In the 2016/2017 season the hunters pushed 30 coveys in a single day. Numbers are down, as they are statewide, but the property appears to have adequate brood stock and conditions are near ideal going into the nesting season. But quail are not the only source of incredible hunting on the property as whitetail deer have long found sanctuary in the food plots along elm creek and the canyons that break toward the valley. Rio Grand turkey are also present in huntable numbers as the roost along Elm Creek and Corral Creek.
Other PropertiesMore Like This
Washita River Hunting RanchAllison, TX
A premier hunting property in the eastern Texas Panhandle, Washita River Hunting Ranch has been intensively managed for wild quail and includes excellent deer and turkey hunting. 5,771± acres near Canadian, Texas.
“When it was time to invest in a ranch for our family, we knew we needed to work with Hall and Hall. The expertise is unsurpassed.”
In 1988, Joel Leadbetter became a partner at Hall and Hall where he has been instrumental in completing complicated, high-profile deals such as the recent sale of Texas’ historic 512,000-acre Waggoner Ranch.
“The professionalism, preparation, and overall positive demeanor exhibited… were truly impressive… I have never before worked with a more dedicated, knowledgeable, and level-headed sales professional.”
I had been looking for the right property for several years and Elliott Davenport’s insight into the quail plantation market and his ability to think strategically was instrumental in helping me find our new place. Elliott was helpful on all technical aspects of contracting and due diligence. His post closing help with hiring and contractors made the process much easier as well.