TECUMSEH RANCH – SEALED BID OFFERING – BIDS DUE JULY 22, 2021
TO DOWNLOAD THE PROPERTY DUE DILIGENCE AND OFFERING PACKAGE, PLEASE CLICK THE BLUE DOWNLOAD BROCHURE & MAPS BUTTON ABOVE. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FILE SIZE IS LARGE AND BEST VIEWED IN ADOBE ACROBAT.
Thank you for your interest in the historic 9,388± acre Tecumseh Ranch located on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River in Throckmorton County. Due to significant market interest regarding this property, a determination has been made by the owners that a sealed bid sale process will be the most equitable method to utilize for the sale of this property. First Financial Trust & Asset Management Company, N.A (FFT), as agent for the owners, has engaged Hall & Hall Partners LLP (HHP) to facilitate the marketing, showing, bid submission, and bid collection process.
The Tecumseh Ranch is offered “Surface Estate Only” as the entire mineral estate has been subject to prior conveyance or reservation.
HHP is not a listing agent for the owners and there is no commission available to a buyer broker should a bidder/buyer seek representation. Buyers will be solely responsible for any compensation due a buyer broker should a buyer enter into a buyer representation agreement.
To follow is a description of the property, its location, history, and resources. If you have interest in submitting a sealed bid offer to purchase the property or would like to conduct a physical examination of the property, you may contact Tyler Jacobs at [email protected] or (936) 537-1749 for the full Property Due Diligence and Offering Package.
The historic 9,388± acre Tecumseh Ranch is located in the heart of the Big Country west of Fort Worth and north of Abilene, and represents a rare large ranch offering between the pastoral ranching communities of Throckmorton and Albany. The ranch boundary on the west and much of the south consists of over eight miles of shoreline on the favored Clear Fork of the Brazos River, and the idyllic and perennial Tecumseh Creek traverses the ranch from north to south for almost five miles. The diversity of the ranch landscape is unmatched with limestone benches and cliffs along the river and creeks, fertile valleys, mesquite flats, and several canyons with wet weather tributaries to the creek and river.
The ranch has been under the same conservation minded management for over 20 years and provides an ideal balance of productive native range with adequate cover for thriving populations of various forms of wildlife including whitetail deer, turkey, feral hogs, quail, raptors, and varmints. The property supports a ranching operation of 300–350 animal units.
Improvements on the ranch are minimal and include two good sets of cattle working and shipping pens, a main barn, a manager’s house, and a replica of the Tecumseh house where John Alexander and Sallie Reynolds Mathews resided beginning in 1878.
Seldom do quality ranches featuring abundant water, productive capacity, and recreational attributes come to market in this tightly held area of the Texas Big Country. Tecumseh Ranch is ready for its new owner and the beginning of a new legacy.
Tecumseh Ranch is located in southwest Throckmorton County approximately 65 miles northeast of Abilene and 125 miles west northwest of Fort Worth. The ranch is accessed from the south (Albany) and east off of US 283 via FM 2584 that terminates to county road 282. It is accessed from the north via US 380 via FM 923 that terminates to county road 250. County Roads 250 and 282 terminate on the east part of the ranch just east of the ranch headquarters.
While the ranch itself is a spectacular and productive multi-use property, its A+ physical attributes combine with location, surrounding ownership, and related regional culture to form an A+ ranching address of Texas. Land is tightly held and ownership is measured in generations versus years. The names of legendary Texas ranchers and ranches are prominent in the records of Throckmorton and Shackelford Counties. Area residents exhibit a rare combination of work ethic, education, practical land stewardship, philanthropy, and community. For the past 83 years, over 250 Albany residents (population 2,000) present the Fort Griffin Fandangle, an authentic look and feel of the Old West told, the last two weeks in June on the Prairie Theater. Other attractions in the area include Fort Griffin State Park and Historic Site, the Old Jail Art Center, and several other restored buildings and shops in Albany, as well as the elegant county courthouses in both Albany and Throckmorton.
The Clear Fork of the Brazos River is the longest tributary of the Brazos River, and was not named for the clarity of its flow, but rather the quality of its water. As such the river served as both a dependable resource and guide to the early Texas settlers on their westward expansion of the frontier. It served the northern Quahada Comanches equally well in their resistance to expansion by settlers to the west and northwest.
In an effort to provide protection for the western settlers, Camp Cooper was established on a bend on the Clear Fork in January 1856 in south central Throckmorton County for the purpose of protecting and defending the frontier against the northern Comanche Indians. Robert E. Lee served 19 months as a junior officer at the camp. In addition to protecting settlers, the camp was established to provide protection and oversight to the inhabitants of the Comanche Indian Reservation established on 18,576 acres along the Clear Fork in 1854. With the civil war on the horizon the army could not provide adequate protection to the friendly Comanches from the more aggressive Quahada Comanches, and the reservation was ordered abandoned in 1859 and removal of the Indians to Indian Territory. Camp Cooper was subsequently abandoned completely in 1861 after the start of the civil war.
Originally located on the Tecumseh Ranch, the Camp Cooper ruins were sold by J A Matthews to J B Putnam in 1906. Archeological excavations and activities continue periodically at the site of the ruins. The Camp Cooper monument erected in 1936 is located on the Tecumseh Ranch just north of its southern ranch boundary.
After surrender of the Quahada Comanches in the mid- 1870’s northwest Texas and the Panhandle were safe for the growth of large cattle operations. On Christmas Day in 1876, J A Matthews married Sallie Ann Reynolds and that was the start of five generations of Matthews family operation of ranchland in Throckmorton and Shackleford Counties. The couple moved in the Tecumseh House at the ranch headquarters in 1878. At times the Matthews and Reynolds families operated ranches in partnership or in cooperation. Deed records indicate Joe B. Matthews acquired the bulk of the current Tecumseh Ranch from Reynolds Cattle company in 1940.
The stone directional sign on the road is a monument to a past history on the ranch that saw regular traffic between Throckmorton and Albany, as well as distance travelers, whether in a stagecoach, horseback or on foot. The numerous named crossings on the Clear Fork would have all likely convened at this point.
The Clear Fork of the Brazos River has a long history of sustaining diverse and quality wildlife throughout the watershed. Whitetail, waterfowl, quail, dove, and turkey make up the sporting species. Feral hogs, beaver, fox, coyote, bobcat, migratory birds, and raptors are also common.
The fishing opportunities along both the Clear Fork and Tecumseh Creek are outstanding for this part of the Big Country and deep rock bottom tanks also provide angling opportunities. The deeper holes in the river can reach stretches of over a mile and hundreds of yards along Tecumseh Creek.
Other recreational opportunities include horseback riding, kayaking, birding, hiking, photography, and “dark sky” stargazing and astronomy.
Note that all existing hunting leases have been terminated and former hunting tenants have been given a deadline to remove any and all personal property prior to the bid deadline.
Detailed property information, complete sealed bid terms and conditions, bidding instructions and bid forms are included in the Property Due Diligence and Offering Package, available upon request from Hall and Hall.
Other PropertiesMore Like This
Highlighted by a stunning mountain landscape and truly exceptional improvements, 6,343± acre Elk Island Ranch is an amazing four-season recreational paradise, located only 10 minutes from a real town with jet strip.
The 9,565± acre ranch is situated along the banks of the North Loup River in the Nebraska Sandhills. It is a highly diversified and top-notch ranch with excellent improvements, abundant wildlife and excellent rangeland.
Water rights, creeks and wetlands create a wildlife haven. National Forest borders on 1,027± acres in Bitterroot. New barn/shop complex and 2,200 sq. ft. owner’s quarters are ready to go.
Combining Yampa River and mountainous land, this 3,745± acre ranch stands out for its big fish, big game hunting and convenient location within 20 minutes of Steamboat Springs and the regional airport.
Gearhart Ranch is 9,155± acres of productive grasslands in the Davis Mountains. Successful highland cattle operation for over 100 years. Exceptional game, stunning beauty and starry nights.
Encompassing a diverse landscape of 26,056± total acres (20,502± deeded plus 5,554± leased) that are well-blocked and extremely private, Thunder River Ranch combines a large working ranch with outstanding big game hunting and fishing.
Scenic working cattle and recreational ranch located near Big Sky Resort. Recently constructed impeccable custom-designed improvements. Elk, deer, antelope and bear. Ranch is being offered turn-key inclusive of equipment and furnishings.
1,913± acres of some of the most historic and coveted plantation lands in the Red Hills. Incredible location just five miles from downtown Thomasville, Georgia surrounded by other quail plantations.
Turnkey 1,134± acre ranch featuring superb fishing on the Elk River, stream, lake, ponds, irrigated hay meadows, national forest adjacency, remodeled main home with guest, equestrian and support buildings, and location 20 minutes from Steamboat.
Cattle ranch and recreational property. Grassy hillsides, pastures, irrigated pivots, hay ground and treed creek and river bottoms. Five and a half miles of Cheyenne River and 13 miles of Rapid Creek.
End-of-the-road private family retreat on the river encompassed on three sides by USFS in dramatic setting under towering craggy peaks. Thoughtfully executed, classic log improvements. Year-round access 45 miles from Cody.
The historic Duck Bar Ranch is comprised of 7,005± acres located in the Nebraska Sandhills and features over 6-miles of Gordon Creek. The ranch boasts a carrying capacity of 400 cows with supporting livestock.