Nestled in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains, in the shadow of Cacapon Mountain, lies the beautiful 988+ acre Coolfont Property. Purchase a year-round treasure with beautiful scenery and abundant area activities.
Just the Facts
- National Register of Historic Places
- Built in 1916
- Colonial Revival Style w/stucco facade
- Built by celebrated author, social reformer and Editor John Herbert Quick
- 2 1/2 Story Mansion
- 2,383 SqFt
- 2 Story plus attic and full basement, freestanding building
- Year Built 1915
- Construction Type - Masonry
- HVAC - Heat Pump 1st floor, Baseboard electric 2nd
- Located on one-of-two major Commercial Blocks in Berkeley Springs, WV
988 Acres divided into 8 Tracts with an additional Tract being located in the Town of Berkeley Springs, WV. Was at one time a large resort that catered to travelers from the surrounding areas of Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania & West Virginia. The area is known for its’ long history, George Washington visited often and was one of the first to survey the area. From atop the local hills George Washington was able to take in the vast views spanning miles to the West and fueling his desire to expand westward. The property has many small buildings, Chalets, what was once a restaurant, the administration building for the resort and 2 Homes. One home is on the Registry of Historic Places. Water is known to flow from the rocks here and is even capture to provide water to the Historic Manor House. Some Tracts are large with abundant timber, while others are smaller tracts that would make for perfect weekend getaway locations.
valleys and ridges. Cacapon Mountain divides the county North/South and runs along the Northwest
boundary of Coolfont Resort; Sleepy Creek Mountain defines the Eastern border of Morgan County
which is located 6 miles due East of Coolfont Resort. The Potomac River defines the Northern border
of not just Morgan County but the State of West Virginia as well and is only 2 miles Northwest of Tract
#1. Cacapon River runs North on the Westside of Cacapon Mountain and empties into the Potomac
River at the Town of Great Cacapon which is located only 1.5 miles from the property boundary.
oak, white oak, poplar and ash
• Excellent hunting for deer, bear and turkey
• Extensive development entitlements available
to a whole property buyer
• Beautiful secluded property within a two hour
drive of major cities
• Historic Berkeley Springs has been
recognized as one of the top small arts towns
in the U.S.
• Permitted for construction of infrastructure that can support 1200 residential units and a large
• Original development plan integrates a mix of homes to create a more varied and interesting street
scape, including 606 single family; 250 duplexes; 95 townhomes; 36 live/work units and 110 condo/
• Formed a Community Enhancement District (CED) that provides opportunity to secure $45 million in
bonds to support the infrastructure development.
• No Zoning in Morgan County, in which Berkeley Springs is located.
• 2 story freestanding Commercial Building located on one of the two prime commercial blocks in
Views that span across WV, MD, VA & PA & can see the Potomac River Valley. State Park across the road and adjacent to property. Perfect location for viewing of the Fall Colors and winter beauty
Surveyed by George Washington
80 Miles from Washington DC
45+ years as Family Resort
Acreage (Deeded & Leased)
Deeded Acres: 988±
Total Acres: 988±
Many water features such as: Sir John’s Run a tributary of the Potomac River. A Large Lake on Tract #6. Many natural springs including Coolfont Spring, the name sake of the property and also consider part of the source water for the Berkeley Springs in the Town of Berkeley Springs, WV
Adjacent to State Park where hunting is not allowed, also within 6 miles of Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management Area. Area is populated with White Deer, Black Bear & Turkey. Also in close vicinity is Quail Hollow Hunts, a 300 acre hunting preserve for upland birds.
Could be restored to once famous resort area, with winter tubing hill, restaurant and many chalets. Or use for family retreat with some work. Hiking, biking and horseback trails surround the property
Leases and Permits
“When it was time to invest in a ranch for our family, we knew we needed to work with Hall and Hall. The expertise is unsurpassed.”
In 1988, Joel Leadbetter became a partner at Hall and Hall where he has been instrumental in completing complicated, high-profile deals such as the recent sale of Texas’ historic 512,000-acre Waggoner Ranch.
Oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens put his Texas panhandle property on the market and it’s listed for a massive $250 million.
“The professionalism, preparation, and overall positive demeanor exhibited… were truly impressive… I have never before worked with a more dedicated, knowledgeable, and level-headed sales professional.”
America’s Best Brokerages