Nestled in the Piedra River valley surrounded by San Juan National Forest land, Rafter T Ranch is a place of stunning natural beauty and exceptional privacy. Occupying 887± acres in southwest Colorado, Rafter T is 17 miles west of picturesque Pagosa Springs and 35 miles east of Durango. Unmatched surface water rights manifest in two lakes, three ponds, irrigation channels as well as portions of Devil Creek and the Piedra River. Views of the stunning Chimney Rock National Monument lie to the southeast, where echoes of bygone civilizations still reverberate over the land.
Exceptionally private, Rafter T Ranch includes frontage on both banks of the Piedra River, which flows unimpeded from its headwaters, through the ranch, and south into New Mexico’s Navajo Reservoir. Native grasses line the rocky riverbanks, hayfields ripple in the breeze, and stands of ponderosa pine, cedar, and willow create shady habitats for a variety of wildlife, including golden and bald eagles, black bears, mountain lions, red foxes, beavers, and river otters. Resident herds of mule deer and elk roam the valley, and herds reach 100 to 200 strong during fall migration. The ranch also supports 20 head of cattle and self-sustaining brome, orchard grass, alfalfa, and clover hay production. There are five barns, three residences, and a fishing cabin for owners, guests, and ranch hands.
In addition to its stunning and secluded setting, purchasing Rafter T Ranch represents a rare opportunity to finalize the vision of enhancing and rehabilitating the Piedra River and its adjoining riparian habitats. Current ownership has completed 80 percent of the river enhancement master plan by virtue of an ongoing partnership with a local river habitat improvement company. As a result of these enhancements, the fishing here is excellent, with brown and rainbow trout actively spawning in Devil Creek and maturing in the connected brood ponds.
Rafter T Ranch will cater to a conservation-minded buyer aligned with the goal of completing the planned enhancements on the ranch’s water features while soaking in the outstanding fishing, boating, hiking, and sunset-viewing possibilities this property has to offer.
Just the Facts
- 887± deeded acres
- Located in Archuleta County, Colorado
- Private and secluded, located in the Piedra River valley, nearly surrounded by San Juan National Forest
- 17 miles west of the town of Pagosa Springs, and 35 miles east of the city of Durango
- Avjet and Stevens - Pagosa Springs Airfield is less than 20 minutes from the property
- Features two lakes and three ponds plus irrigation channels and a large reservoir
- Includes frontage on both banks of the Piedra River for 2.5± miles
- Encompasses 1.5± miles of enhanced fishery in Devil’s Creek
- Excellent senior water rights and numerous irrigation and feeder ditches
- Primary residence is 7,230 square feet (three-bed, four-bath) and features barn wood floors, pegged wood beams and an outdoor fireplace on the back porch with expansive views
- Private tennis court with gazebo, equipment storage, and kitchenette
- Other improvements include a three-bed, three-bath guest house (2,593 square feet); three-bed, two-bath manager’s house (2,729 square feet with garage); and a rustic one-room day-use river cabin (300± square feet)
- Ranch headquarters features a shop, manager’s office, hay barns, a historic 1910 barn, and climate-controlled UTV and watercraft storage barn
- Currently supports 20 head of cattle and 150± acres of irrigated hay fields
- Adjacent to Chimney Rock National Monument with views of the 7,000-foot landmark rock formation
- 6,400 to 6,800 feet in elevation
- Opportunity to finalize a river enhancement and rehabilitation master plan staged for completion
Other PropertiesMore Like This
Triple Creek RanchSilverthorne, CO
Minutes from Silverthorne, Colorado, the 254± acre Triple Creek Ranch offers stunning mountain viewsheds, extraordinary lodges, equestrian facilities, and recreational amenities, including trout ponds and three creeks – all bordering national forest.
Captains Rock RanchEvergreen, CO
Captains Rock Ranch, located west of Evergreen, is 667± deeded acres, located within the 3,245± acre “shared use” Evans Ranch. Featuring an 11,878± square foot primary residence, indoor arena, and refurbished cabin.
At Hall and Hall, we make your financing needs our top priority. Whether you’re looking for a ranch, farm, or recreational land loan, our competitive rates and equitable minimums ensure you lock in the best financial package available.
With the goal of making land ownership an enjoyable and trouble free experience, Hall and Hall’s management group continues to be a leader in providing management and consulting services to landowners across our region.
Since launching Hall and Hall Auctions in 2010, we have become a leader in investment quality rural real estate auctions and have produced hundreds of millions of dollars in closed transactions.