Nestled in the Piedra River valley surrounded by San Juan National Forest land, Rafter T Ranch is a place of stunning natural beauty and exceptional privacy. Occupying 887± acres in southwest Colorado, Rafter T is 17 miles west of picturesque Pagosa Springs and 35 miles east of Durango. Unmatched surface water rights manifest in two lakes, three ponds, irrigation channels as well as portions of Devil Creek and the Piedra River. Views of the stunning Chimney Rock National Monument lie to the southeast, where echoes of bygone civilizations still reverberate over the land.
Exceptionally private, Rafter T Ranch includes frontage on both banks of the Piedra River, which flows unimpeded from its headwaters, through the ranch, and south into New Mexico’s Navajo Reservoir. Native grasses line the rocky riverbanks, hayfields ripple in the breeze, and stands of ponderosa pine, cedar, and willow create shady habitats for a variety of wildlife, including golden and bald eagles, black bears, mountain lions, red foxes, beavers, and river otters. Resident herds of mule deer and elk roam the valley, and herds reach 100 to 200 strong during fall migration. The ranch also supports 20 head of cattle and self-sustaining brome, orchard grass, alfalfa, and clover hay production. There are five barns, three residences, and a fishing cabin for owners, guests, and ranch hands.
In addition to its stunning and secluded setting, purchasing Rafter T Ranch represents a rare opportunity to finalize the vision of enhancing and rehabilitating the Piedra River and its adjoining riparian habitats. Current ownership has completed 80 percent of the river enhancement master plan by virtue of an ongoing partnership with a local river habitat improvement company. As a result of these enhancements, the fishing here is excellent, with brown and rainbow trout actively spawning in Devil Creek and maturing in the connected brood ponds.
Rafter T Ranch will cater to a conservation-minded buyer aligned with the goal of completing the planned enhancements on the ranch’s water features while soaking in the outstanding fishing, boating, hiking, and sunset-viewing possibilities this property has to offer.
Just the Facts
- 887± deeded acres
- Located in Archuleta County, Colorado
- Private and secluded, located in the Piedra River valley, nearly surrounded by San Juan National Forest
- 17 miles west of the town of Pagosa Springs, and 35 miles east of the city of Durango
- Avjet and Stevens - Pagosa Springs Airfield is less than 20 minutes from the property
- Features two lakes and three ponds plus irrigation channels and a large reservoir
- Includes frontage on both banks of the Piedra River for 2.5± miles
- Encompasses 1.5± miles of enhanced fishery in Devil’s Creek
- Excellent senior water rights and numerous irrigation and feeder ditches
- Primary residence is 7,230 square feet (three-bed, four-bath) and features barn wood floors, pegged wood beams and an outdoor fireplace on the back porch with expansive views
- Private tennis court with gazebo, equipment storage, and kitchenette
- Other improvements include a three-bed, three-bath guest house (2,593 square feet); three-bed, two-bath manager’s house (2,729 square feet with garage); and a rustic one-room day-use river cabin (300± square feet)
- Ranch headquarters features a shop, manager’s office, hay barns, a historic 1910 barn, and climate-controlled UTV and watercraft storage barn
- Currently supports 20 head of cattle and 150± acres of irrigated hay fields
- Adjacent to Chimney Rock National Monument with views of the 7,000-foot landmark rock formation
- 6,400 to 6,800 feet in elevation
- Opportunity to finalize a river enhancement and rehabilitation master plan staged for completion
Other PropertiesMore Like This
Eagle River AnglerEagle, CO
Ideally located, this 36.8± acre angling retreat features a riverside residence and 1,000± feet of Eagle River frontage just minutes from Vail and Beavercreek. Ownership entails additional private river and amenity access.
Marietta Creek RanchHot Sulphur Springs, CO
Encompassing a diverse mountain landscape flanking the Colorado River, this scenic 1,512± acre ranch offers outstanding hunting and fishing with end-of-the-road seclusion, log home, and location convenient to ski resorts and Denver.
Blessed with unequalled views, privacy, recreation, and wildlife within 10 miles of Pagosa Springs, this 9,600± acre holding borders national forest and includes a private lake, ponds, and miles of creeks.
Pine Creek Ranch is comprised of 3,476± acres of predominately grassland pastures adjacent to the Red River. The diversity and agricultural production offer value to the cattle and outdoor enthusiast.
The ranch consists of 1,731± deeded acres four miles north of Stapleton, Nebraska. The property borders Highway 83 and features 184± acres pivot irrigated, living shelterbelt, wetlands, and native Sandhill range.
Lazy L Creek Ranch is a 1,489± acre ranch located 15 miles from Red Lodge, Montana. The ranch boasts creek frontage on Red Lodge Creek, renovated improvements, and dramatic mountain views.
18,154± acre (7,260± deeded) balanced working ranch rated at 300 AUs 25 miles SE of Wright. Full set of improvements including a comfortable home. Excellent hunting for elk, deer, antelope.
Spanning an enormous block of mountain land rising from a trout-filled river up to the national forest, this exceptional 11,900± acre sporting paradise is distinguished by its trophy hunting, outstanding fishing, and luxurious lakeside lodge.
1,232± acres on the Tennessee River in Decatur County, TN. Ideal hunting habitat. 415± acres of farmland generating $52,000± annually. 100± acre natural cypress lake. Two hours from Nashville.
Plummers Creek Ranch offers lush Bermuda pastures, big western views, and perfectly sized improvements for the cattlemen and weekenders alike. Several ponds, excellent fencing, and fertile soils.
Summer grazing for 250 pair and premium elk hunting near Townsend, Montana. Upper Greyson Creek is a 1,945± (1,305± deeded, 640± leased) acre, well-watered ranch with 1,729± square foot log home.
Cattle ranch and recreational property. Grassy hillsides, pastures, irrigated pivots, hay ground and treed creek and river bottoms. Five and a half miles of Cheyenne River and 13 miles of Rapid Creek.
Just over an hour’s drive west of Albuquerque, NM, the Lobo Ranch spans over 70± square miles offering 46,485± deeded acres of stunningly beautiful landscape and is contiguous to the Marquez Wildlife Area.
The historic Duck Bar Ranch is comprised of 7,005± acres located in the Nebraska Sandhills and features over 6-miles of Gordon Creek. The ranch boasts a carrying capacity of 400 cows with supporting livestock.
Highlighted by over two miles of Yampa River only 20 minutes from Steamboat Springs, the 890± acre Stetson Ranch combines outstanding trout fishing, abundant wildlife and productive agriculture in a scenic and convenient location.