Winding River Ranch is located less than 30 miles from Buena Vista, Buena Vista Central Colorado Regional Airport and 10 minutes by paved State Highway 285 south of Fairplay. It encompasses a highly diverse block of 6,397± acres (4,797± deeded) that lies at 9,300 feet just below the continental divide which includes some of Colorado’s famous 14,000-foot peaks. The lower reaches of the ranch include a rich wetland complex that supports nearly five miles of world-class private fishing on the highly regarded South Fork of the South Platte River. The upper reaches of the ranch include steeper, timbered terrain that offers private trophy quality elk and deer hunting – with rare hunting tags. There is enough land to support modest hay production, summer grazing for livestock and horses and three irrigated food plots, although fish and wildlife are the crop of choice for the current owners. The ranch has an extensive common boundary with the Pike National Forest and boasts dramatic postcard-quality views of Pike’s Peak to the south and Teller and Hoosier Ridges along the continental divide to the north. To further “ice this cake” it is a short 45-minute drive to Breckenridge Ski Resort and only a 90-minute drive to Denver/DIA. The turnkey improvements are comfortable, useful, appropriate but not over the top in any way. In summary, Winding River Ranch pretty much has it all: scale (over 6,000 acres), great fishing, quality hunting, terrific scenery, good privacy plus easy access to major international air service, to an attractive small town and to a destination ski resort.
Just the Facts
- 29 miles to Buena Vista
- 10 minutes south of Fairplay and 45 minutes from Breckenridge, Colorado
- 90 minutes from Denver and two hours from DIA
- Eastern boundary is Highway 285
- 30 minutes to Buena Vista Central Colorado Regional Airport offering 8,300 x 75-foot asphalt landing strip
- 4,797± deeded acres
- 3,251± acres under conservation easement(s) held by The Nature Conservancy
- BLM lease for 354.6± acres of lease
- State land lease for recreational and agricultural purposes totaling 1,246± acres
- Approximately five miles of both banks of the South Fork of the South Platte River – rainbows and browns
- Four lakes stocked with Snake River cutthroat, Donaldson steelhead, Kamloop rainbow and German brown
- Extensive water rights including reservoir, ditch, spring, and groundwater well rights
- Two tributary creeks, Rough and Tumbling, feed the main stem
- Multiple residences including manager’s home, bunkhouse and four cabins
- Adjacent to Pike National Forest, BLM and State Land
- Highly diverse habitat featuring irrigated meadows, riparian, wetlands, timbered mountains and open prairies.
- Wildlife includes abundant elk, deer, bear, antelope, and numerous small game species, while also participating in Colorado’s Landowner Preference Program (LPP)
- Three irrigated food plots planted in oats
- 300 days of sunshine with an average of 15± inches of annual precipitation
- 9,300± foot elevation
Other PropertiesMore Like This
“Most brokers have a strong sense of independence, so brokerages work around that, but Hall and Hall is not about the one working alone—their strength and longevity is built on the group, on the family,” explains Tyler Jacobs. “It’s the basic fundamentals and traditional values that we’ve thrived on since the company was founded back in 1946.”
Our Hall and Hall broker, Randy Shelton, kept us in the loop as though it were. Our sale hinged on that of larger surrounding parcels, and when an initial offer fell through, Randy went back to the drawing board and found a suitable buyer who shared our values. That meant a lot to us, as our property had been in the family for more than 100 years.
From the first time I walked through the door, I sensed Hall and Hall’s highest goals were to understand who I was and build a relationship, to understand what made my property special, and to find the buyer. Their discipline and focus was apparent. Throughout the entire process, their approach towards reality was different from the experiences I have had previously. Genuine would be the word I would use to describe everyone at Hall and Hall.
I interviewed 4 agents and selected Hall and Hall because of the agency’s reputation for expertise in high end ranch property and global marketing. I had the pleasure of working with Tim Murphy on the sale of a family property in the Paradise Valley, Montana. We believe he represented our family interests well and contributed to the integrity of the property by joining together buyer and seller and a shared love for this special place in our lives.
Bill McDavid was an outstanding and very patient partner in this sale. His expertise in the market and marketing of the property was excellent. I would use him again in a heartbeat to either buy or sell a ranch property.
“Guns, bear spray and handsaws: These aren’t the tools of your average luxury real-estate agent. But ranch brokers like Mr. Murphy, a Bozeman-based partner at Hall & Hall, occupy a unique and increasingly challenging niche in the world of multimillion-dollar property.”
“When it was time to invest in a ranch for our family, we knew we needed to work with Hall and Hall. The expertise is unsurpassed.”
In 1988, Joel Leadbetter became a partner at Hall and Hall where he has been instrumental in completing complicated, high-profile deals such as the recent sale of Texas’ historic 512,000-acre Waggoner Ranch.
“The professionalism, preparation, and overall positive demeanor exhibited… were truly impressive… I have never before worked with a more dedicated, knowledgeable, and level-headed sales professional.”
I had been looking for the right property for several years and Elliott Davenport’s insight into the quail plantation market and his ability to think strategically was instrumental in helping me find our new place. Elliott was helpful on all technical aspects of contracting and due diligence. His post closing help with hiring and contractors made the process much easier as well.
I have purchased 4 ranches through Hall and Hall over the past 20 years, and there is simply no other team in the world like them. They have navigated complexity, professionally attended to every detail, operated with fairness and integrity, and demonstrated an unwavering commitment to me– whether representing me or the person on the other side of the deal.