Winding River Ranch is located 10 minutes by paved State Highway 285 south of Fairplay. It encompasses a highly diverse block of 6,432± acres (4,832± deeded) that lies at 9,300 feet just below the continental divide which includes some of Colorado’s famous 14,000-foot peaks. The lower reaches of the ranch include a rich wetland complex that supports nearly five miles of world-class private fishing on the highly regarded South Fork of the South Platte River. The upper reaches of the ranch include steeper, timbered terrain that offers private trophy quality elk and deer hunting – with rare hunting tags. There is enough land to support modest hay production and summer grazing for livestock and horses, although fish and wildlife are the crop of choice for the current owners. The ranch has an extensive common boundary with the Pike National Forest and boasts dramatic postcard-quality views of Pike’s Peak to the south and Teller and Hoosier Ridges along the continental divide to the north. To further “ice this cake” it is a short 45-minute drive to Breckenridge Ski Resort. The turnkey improvements are comfortable, useful, appropriate but not over the top in any way. In summary, Winding River Ranch pretty much has it all: scale (over 6,000 acres), great fishing, quality hunting, terrific scenery, good privacy plus easy access to major international air service, to an attractive small town and to a destination ski resort.
Just the Facts
- 10 minutes south of Fairplay and 45 minutes from Breckenridge, Colorado
- 90 minutes from Denver and two hours from DIA
- 25 minutes to Buena Vista Central Colorado Regional Airport offering 8,300 x 75-foot asphalt landing strip
- 4,832± deeded acres
- 3,251± acres under conservation easement(s) held by The Nature Conservancy
- BLM lease for 354.6± acres of lease
- State land lease for recreational and agricultural purposes totaling 1,246± acres
- Approximately five miles of both banks of the South Fork of the South Platte River – rainbows and browns
- Four lakes stocked with Snake River cutthroat, Donaldson steelhead, Kamloop rainbow and German brown
- Extensive water rights including reservoir, ditch, spring, and groundwater well rights
- Two tributary creeks, Rough and Tumbling, feed the main stem
- Multiple residences including manager's home, bunkhouse and several cabins
- Adjacent to Pike National Forest
- Highly diverse habitat featuring irrigated meadows, riparian, wetlands, timbered mountains and open prairies.
- Wildlife includes abundant elk, deer, bear, antelope, and numerous small game species, while also participating in Colorado’s Landowner Preference Program (LPP)
- 300 days of sunshine with an average of 15± inches of annual precipitation
- 9,300± foot elevation
- Views of Pike’s Peak, Buffalo Peaks and the Mosquito Range
Other PropertiesMore Like This
North Middle Fork RanchLyons, CO
Gorgeous 600± acres in national forest between Boulder and Rocky Mountain National Park. Undulating forest/meadows, extensive creeks, springs. Vested County approvals for large improvements on choice sites. Rare close-in opportunity.
Combining 5+ miles of outstanding fly fishing on the coveted White River, 4,603± acres of magnificent mountain scenery, and impeccable accommodations and facilities, Westlands has hosted and impressed distinguished guests for decades.
“When it was time to invest in a ranch for our family, we knew we needed to work with Hall and Hall. The expertise is unsurpassed.”
In 1988, Joel Leadbetter became a partner at Hall and Hall where he has been instrumental in completing complicated, high-profile deals such as the recent sale of Texas’ historic 512,000-acre Waggoner Ranch.
“The professionalism, preparation, and overall positive demeanor exhibited… were truly impressive… I have never before worked with a more dedicated, knowledgeable, and level-headed sales professional.”
I had been looking for the right property for several years and Elliott Davenport’s insight into the quail plantation market and his ability to think strategically was instrumental in helping me find our new place. Elliott was helpful on all technical aspects of contracting and due diligence. His post closing help with hiring and contractors made the process much easier as well.