Located 10 minutes north of Crane and 30 miles southeast of Burns, the JMK Ranch is a quality commercial hay operation consisting of 2,230± acres in a contiguous unit. The ranch features 1,125± acres irrigated by nine center pivots, six of which are planted to alfalfa and three transitioning to alfalfa. The ranch produced organic hay until two years ago and is now being fertilized and working toward three cuttings with yields of four to five tons per acre. Eight of the pivots are Valley brand (the most recent one installed in 2011), while the ninth is a Zimmatic installed in 2015. Irrigation water comes from eight wells interconnected through a buried mainline system. Wells pump between 500-800 gpm and depths are in the 300’ to 600’ range. The owner has invested approximately $700,000 into the irrigation system since 2008. The ranch also features 1,085± acres of dry land pasture and 20± acres encompassing the ranch improvements. Buildings and infrastructure include a manufactured home, shop building, 9-bay open-sided machine shed, horse barn, “commodities” barn, and a permitted 750-head backgrounding lot with concrete bunks and metal panels attached to metal posts. In addition, there is a cattle-working facility, loading chute, hydraulic squeeze chute, and an enclosed 20,000 lb. beam scale. Cattle pens are watered with automatic frost-free troughs. Stock water is also available to each of the pivot fields through an interconnected system installed in 2015. The system consists of tire tanks with floats and is capable of providing water throughout the winter. Water is supplied by three wells. The JMK is part of the larger McEwen Ranch and Cattle Company and is being offered for sale separately as a standalone operation. As part of the McEwen, the property has supplied hay for McEwen cattle and also produced excess hay to sell. The JMK has also served as a location to winter McEwen bulls, receive bred cattle, and hold remnant calves. Hall and Hall’s management division has provided professional oversight of the JMK Ranch since 2008 and is available to work on behalf of a new owner to manage the property under a long-term arrangement or as part of a transition strategy.
Just the Facts
- 2,230± deeded, contiguous acres located 10 minutes north of Crane and 30 miles southeast of Burns
- 1,125± irrigated acres under nine center pivots
- Irrigation water comes from eight interconnected wells with flows between 500-800 gpm and depths between 300’and 600’; all pumps and motors have been pulled and maintained over the past five years; flow meters are in place on all wells
- Six pivots are planted to alfalfa and three are transitioning to alfalfa; formerly an organic operation, the ranch is now being fertilized and working towards three cuttings and four to five tons per acre
- 1,085± acres of dryland pasture and 20± acres encompassing the improvements
- Complete set of functional ranch improvements including a manufactured home, shop building, machine shed, barns, enclosed 20,000 lb. beam scale, and a permitted 750-head backgrounding lot
- Year-round stock water to each of the pivot fields through an interconnected system consisting of tire tanks with floats
- Annual property taxes are approximately $9,000
- This offering involves the sale of the surface rights to the ranch only. Mineral rights to be reserved by the seller at closing
Other PropertiesMore Like This
“When it was time to invest in a ranch for our family, we knew we needed to work with Hall and Hall. The expertise is unsurpassed.”
In 1988, Joel Leadbetter became a partner at Hall and Hall where he has been instrumental in completing complicated, high-profile deals such as the recent sale of Texas’ historic 512,000-acre Waggoner Ranch.
Oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens put his Texas panhandle property on the market and it’s listed for a massive $250 million.
“The professionalism, preparation, and overall positive demeanor exhibited… were truly impressive… I have never before worked with a more dedicated, knowledgeable, and level-headed sales professional.”
America’s Best Brokerages