The South Comanche Ranch, owned by the same ranching family for over fifty years, represents a rare opportunity to buy a large operating ranch within 60 miles of downtown Denver. South Comanche Ranch runs 650± cows plus bulls and horses on 17,853± total acres which include 1,280 acres of State of Colorado leased land. The headquarters lie just 14 miles south of Byers and I-70, providing a nice nearby agricultural community for the ranch owner and family. The ranch is fenced into 18 pastures and is exceptionally well-watered with 20 wells, seasonal stream flows, and numerous reservoirs. The ranch also has Colorado Ground Water Commission adjudicated water rights in the Laramie-Fox Hills, Denver and Arapahoe aquifers. The ranch’s operating improvements, fences, and roads are “Bradbury Standard” and have been maintained to the highest-quality of care. Pasture and extensive corrals, along with loading snake and hydraulic chute, makes for efficient cattle operation. The 3,460± square foot owner’s residence has been remodeled and is a comfortable five-bedroom home. The terrain is incredibly diverse for eastern Colorado with over nine miles of riparian bottoms, some dryland farming, terraced hillsides, timbered foothills, open grasslands and scenic arroyos. Distant views of the Rocky Mountain peaks dominate the skyline from most places on the ranch. Wildlife is prolific including deer, antelope, and a variety of smaller game animals. In summary, South Comanche Ranch is an investment quality operating ranch within easy reach of one of the west’s most exciting and actively growing metropolitan areas. The long term potential of this ranch as a family legacy investment cannot be overemphasized.
Just the Facts
- Combined total of 16,573± deeded acres
- 1,280± acres of state leased land
- 14 miles from Byers to ranch headquarters at South Comanche Ranch
- 30 miles from Parker to west entrance of ranch
- Conveniently located within 60 miles of downtown Denver, an hour to Denver International Airport, and 45 minutes to Centennial Airport
- Primary residence built in 1971, later remodeled, has 3,460± sq. ft., 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, and 2 car garage
- Functional and well-maintained improvements including agricultural infrastructure of a horse barn, cattle barn, equipment shop, storage shop, Quonset, secondary equipment shop, grain storage, extensive corrals, and excellent fencing
- Exceptionally well-watered, including numerous water wells, ponds, dirt tanks, catch ponds, and seasonal creek flows
- Includes state approved Determination of Water Rights in the Laramie-Fox Hills, Denver and Arapahoe aquifers
- Two domestic wells
- 16 solar wells and 4 livestock wells
- 18 total separate pastures
- Owners have historically run 650± cow/calf pairs year-round
- Approximately 5 miles of West Bijou Creek
- Approximately 4 miles of Rattlesnake Creek
- Several miles of Mule and East Gulch drainages
- Several terraced hillsides
- Heavily lined cottonwood treed creek bottomland
- Numerous drainages, small arroyos, and diverse topography all providing excellent livestock and wildlife protection
- Abundant antelope, mule deer, occasional whitetail and elk, ducks, geese, and a variety of small game and bird species
- Outstanding mixture of undulating topography, riparian areas, diverse landscape, creek bottom and overall biodiversity
- Numerous pastures, excellent fencing, and ease of livestock handling
- Dryland farming component is approximately 160 acres currently planted in a grass mix for livestock
- Predominately sandy loam soil, blue grama, little bluestem and brome grasses throughout the ranch
- Annual precipitation ranges from 12 to 18 inches
- Elevation ranges from approximately 5,600 feet to 5,900 feet
- Real estate taxes $8,490.08
- Large and well-blocked acreage creating privacy and seclusion
- Terrific views throughout the ranch and front range mountains to the west
- Portion of the ranch features heavily timbered hillsides covering approximately 250 acres
- Excellent internal road system (nearly county standard) and well-maintained
- Exceptionally well-managed ranch by professional grade ranching family
Other PropertiesMore Like This
Centennial RanchOuray County, CO
Centennial Ranch is the classic gentleman’s ranch. Ideally located between Montrose, it’s commercial and private jet centers and the legendary town of Telluride. Extraordinary improvements, river fishing and highway access.
Saddlehorn RanchLa Veta, CO
Four miles west of La Veta, CO, Saddlehorn ranch presents 2,520± deeded acres of recreational mountain land. The property is private, offers excellent wildlife habitat, extraordinary views, and numerous building sites.
“Most brokers have a strong sense of independence, so brokerages work around that, but Hall and Hall is not about the one working alone—their strength and longevity is built on the group, on the family,” explains Tyler Jacobs. “It’s the basic fundamentals and traditional values that we’ve thrived on since the company was founded back in 1946.”
Our Hall and Hall broker, Randy Shelton, kept us in the loop as though it were. Our sale hinged on that of larger surrounding parcels, and when an initial offer fell through, Randy went back to the drawing board and found a suitable buyer who shared our values. That meant a lot to us, as our property had been in the family for more than 100 years.
From the first time I walked through the door, I sensed Hall and Hall’s highest goals were to understand who I was and build a relationship, to understand what made my property special, and to find the buyer. Their discipline and focus was apparent. Throughout the entire process, their approach towards reality was different from the experiences I have had previously. Genuine would be the word I would use to describe everyone at Hall and Hall.
I interviewed 4 agents and selected Hall and Hall because of the agency’s reputation for expertise in high end ranch property and global marketing. I had the pleasure of working with Tim Murphy on the sale of a family property in the Paradise Valley, Montana. We believe he represented our family interests well and contributed to the integrity of the property by joining together buyer and seller and a shared love for this special place in our lives.
Bill McDavid was an outstanding and very patient partner in this sale. His expertise in the market and marketing of the property was excellent. I would use him again in a heartbeat to either buy or sell a ranch property.
“Guns, bear spray and handsaws: These aren’t the tools of your average luxury real-estate agent. But ranch brokers like Mr. Murphy, a Bozeman-based partner at Hall & Hall, occupy a unique and increasingly challenging niche in the world of multimillion-dollar property.”
“When it was time to invest in a ranch for our family, we knew we needed to work with Hall and Hall. The expertise is unsurpassed.”
In 1988, Joel Leadbetter became a partner at Hall and Hall where he has been instrumental in completing complicated, high-profile deals such as the recent sale of Texas’ historic 512,000-acre Waggoner Ranch.
“The professionalism, preparation, and overall positive demeanor exhibited… were truly impressive… I have never before worked with a more dedicated, knowledgeable, and level-headed sales professional.”
I had been looking for the right property for several years and Elliott Davenport’s insight into the quail plantation market and his ability to think strategically was instrumental in helping me find our new place. Elliott was helpful on all technical aspects of contracting and due diligence. His post closing help with hiring and contractors made the process much easier as well.
I have purchased 4 ranches through Hall and Hall over the past 20 years, and there is simply no other team in the world like them. They have navigated complexity, professionally attended to every detail, operated with fairness and integrity, and demonstrated an unwavering commitment to me– whether representing me or the person on the other side of the deal.
Having been in our family for 70 years, selling Loveridge was a big decision for our family and we needed the right person to walk us through this process. Elliott Davenport has exceeded our expectations and represented our family very well through this sale. His depth of knowledge for the Red Hills, his critical thinking, intimate understanding of the market, and honest approach has made this process very pleasant and rewarding for us. Simply, he gets it and that has served us very well.
Positioning a high-end Luxury Farm in the market to maximize Seller value requires a special set of skills along with a true understanding of the audience. Having a National presence and the knowledge of how to market into that audience is key to executing a successful transaction. Elliott Davenport of Hall & Hall and his team of seasoned professionals are uniquely qualified to deliver these results. They exceeded our expectations! We could not be more thrilled with their performance.
“Having spent the last 18 months immersed in the process of (successfully) selling a large family sporting property, I can’t imagine going through it without Elliott Davenport. His incredible knowledge of the market, deep understanding of and appreciation for our land, thoughtful and resourceful guidance throughout the process, tenacious attention to detail, and his collaborative approach with our on-site land management staff was nothing short of invaluable. He came to us highly recommended by fellow landowner friends, and now it is easy to see why. I and my family would not hesitate to recommend him in a heartbeat to anyone.”
Have never experienced in my 50 year real estate career the level of complete professionalism that Bill McDavid performed through the entire sale process beginning at the listing all the way through the sale. Communication was excellent.
Bill walked me through the difference of what my dream ranch’s value was to me verses the market value. He sold my ranch in less than a year because it was priced in the market at a great value. My listing agent before Bill priced my ranch at a level of my expectation and no buyers showed up. Bill nailed the right price and we had buyers looking every month until the closing 9 months later.