Huff Creek Ranch is a well-run cattle and hay operation located at the base of the Pioneer Mountains eight miles east of the farming and ranching community of Carey and an hour’s drive southeast of the mountain resort of Ketchum/Sun Valley. The ranch consists of 1,888± deeded acres in two units: the 894± acre main ranch located along US Highway 20 and the 994± acre upper ranch lying six miles to the north and accessed by graveled county roads. The main ranch consists of sprinkler irrigated fields, meadows, riparian areas, and dry grazing lands, while the upper ranch is used for seasonal grazing and highlighted by extensive sub-irrigated meadows. The ranch includes a separate US Forest Service grazing allotment located 10 miles north of the upper ranch that encompasses 10,000± acres and accommodates 220 head from July 7th until September 21st. A 640± acre Bureau of Land Management (BLM) grazing allotment adjoins the main ranch to the north and runs 25 head from May 15th until September 15th.
The main ranch holds multiple, adjudicated surface and groundwater rights to irrigate 475.9 acres, while the upper ranch controls a single surface water right to irrigate 40 acres. At present, the owner is irrigating approximately over 350± acres of cropland and pasture at the main ranch under four pivots and two wheel lines. Huff Creek, a year-round spring creek originating east of the property, flows for two and a half miles through the main ranch and provides irrigation water for the operation as well as habitat for waterfowl, upland birds, and big game. Huff Creek also fills several irrigation ponds on the property. The West Fork of Fish Creek, also a year-round, spring-fed creek, meanders through the upper ranch for two miles. With a combination of productive sprinkler irrigation and dependable summer pasture, the owner rates the ranch at 350± animal units, including cows, replacement heifers, bulls, and ranch horses.
The main ranch features a comfortable and practical set of building improvements. These include a nicely remodeled four-bedroom, two-story home with a detached garage, a 50’X32’ shop building with a concrete floor and double overhead doors, working corrals, feed bunks, and several older utility buildings. Excepting a functional set of corrals, the upper ranch is unimproved. A set of corrals is also located on the forest service allotment. The area is home to a number of lakes and trout streams as well as excellent big game hunting and wing shooting for waterfowl and upland birds. The ranch is located in hunt units 49 and 52A and qualifies for a landowner appreciation program tag for controlled big game hunts. The resort amenities of Sun Valley, including world-class skiing, fine dining, and excellent golf courses, are located an hour northwest of the ranch.
Just the Facts
- 1,888± deeded acres plus a separate 220-head forest service grazing allotment and an adjoining 25-head BLM grazing allotment
- 10 minutes from Carey and 45 minutes from the airport in Hailey
- Owner-rated at 350± animal units including cows, replacements, bulls, and ranch horses
- Adjudicated surface and groundwater irrigation rights for 515.9 acres with over 350± acres of active sprinkler irrigated cropland and pasture
- 2.5± miles of Huff Creek and 2± miles of the West Fork of Fish Creek
- Comfortable and practical building improvements including a remodeled ranch house and 1,600± sq. ft. shop building
- Extensive border with Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve and BLM lands
- Qualifies for landowner appreciation permits for controlled big game hunts in units 49 and 52A
- Conservation easement with The Nature Conservancy covers 864± acres of the main ranch to preserve the property’s agricultural resources and open space values
- Elevation ranges from 4,800 feet at the south end of the ranch to 8,000 feet on the forest service allotment
- Annual property taxes are approximately $5,400
Acreage (Deeded & Leased)
Other PropertiesMore Like This
Fish Creek Ranch 20Carey, ID
Located 40 miles east of Sun Valley’s airport in the foothills of the Pioneer Mountains, this scenic ranch features 1,080± deeded acres, irrigated pastures, functional improvements, and over two miles of year-round streams.
At Hall and Hall, we make your financing needs our top priority. Whether you’re looking for a ranch, farm, or recreational land loan, our competitive rates and equitable minimums ensure you lock in the best financial package available.
With the goal of making land ownership an enjoyable and trouble free experience, Hall and Hall’s management group continues to be a leader in providing management and consulting services to landowners across our region.
Since launching Hall and Hall Auctions in 2010, we have become a leader in investment quality rural real estate auctions and have produced hundreds of millions of dollars in closed transactions.