The Bixby Ranch represents a near-perfect 16,896± acre Wyoming operating ranch. It lies in a contiguous block of primarily deeded land (only 2,299± acres of BLM and State Lease) with eight miles of Box Elder Creek, as it leaves the Laramie Mountains, as the focal point. Bixby Ranch fronts the North Platte River for about five miles on its north boundary. It is an easy 35-minute drive into Casper from the ranch’s own exit off of Interstate 25 and only five miles southeast of Glenrock. There are 1200± acres under flood and pivot irrigation which provide a more than adequate feed base for the 600 pairs plus replacement heifers, bulls and horses, which make up the current operation. Seventeen fenced pastures allow rotation if desired. Bixby Ranch has eight homes for both staff and owners including the 100-plus-year-old Carey Mansion and a guest cabin on the river. There are also shops, barns and a new set of Temple Grandin inspired pipe corrals. With over 15 miles of riparian areas, 14 reservoirs and ponds, and a diversity of terrain that runs from deep coulees and canyons to rolling foothills, Bixby Ranch sustains both livestock and wildlife. Hunting for deer, antelope, waterfowl and upland birds is outstanding and there is good fishing for both trout and warm water species. Bixby Ranch was homesteaded by the Carey family and the only other owner has been the Bixby family. It is a completely private, well balanced, foothill operating ranch with extensive recreational amenities.
Just the Facts
- Location – Five miles SE of Glenrock or about 40 miles from Casper’s Natrona County Airport offering full commercial air service, 3.5 hours to Denver
- Acreage – 16,896± total acres (2,299± under State and BLM lease)
- Acreage Breakdown – Acreage includes approximately 1,200± under irrigation and the balance including 15 miles of riparian corridor is classified as native rangeland
- Operation – Currently runs 600 pairs plus replacement heifers, bulls and horses
- Improvements – Highlighted by the Carey Mansion, there are eight houses including a log guest cabin. Working improvements include a new Temple Grandin inspired set of pipe corrals and a full complement of shops and barns
- Water Resources – 15 miles of live streams, 14 reservoirs, and water rights for 1,200± acres
- Wildlife and Recreation – Excellent hunting for white tail deer, mule deer, antelope, waterfowl and upland birds plus fishing on five miles of the North Platte River, Box Elder Creek and some ponds
- History – Homesteaded by the famous Carey family that once ranched throughout central Wyoming, the Bixby family is only the second owner and the Carey Mansion still functions as the owner’s home
- Summary – Classic mostly deeded and well blocked private and truly historic Wyoming foothill ranch- only second owner since homestead
Other PropertiesMore Like This
Encompassing nearly the entire upper Laramie River Valley in northern Colorado, this landmark 37,881± total acre ranch combines a profitable agricultural operation with over 27 miles of live water, outstanding wildlife and picturesque scenery.
Pine Creek Ranch is comprised of 3,476± acres of predominately grassland pastures adjacent to the Red River. The diversity and agricultural production offer value to the cattle and outdoor enthusiast.
The ranch consists of 1,731± deeded acres four miles north of Stapleton, Nebraska. The property borders Highway 83 and features 184± acres pivot irrigated, living shelterbelt, wetlands, and native Sandhill range.
Lazy L Creek Ranch is a 1,489± acre ranch located 15 miles from Red Lodge, Montana. The ranch boasts creek frontage on Red Lodge Creek, renovated improvements, and dramatic mountain views.
18,154± acre (7,260± deeded) balanced working ranch rated at 300 AUs 25 miles SE of Wright. Full set of improvements including a comfortable home. Excellent hunting for elk, deer, antelope.
Spanning an enormous block of mountain land rising from a trout-filled river up to the national forest, this exceptional 11,900± acre sporting paradise is distinguished by its trophy hunting, outstanding fishing, and luxurious lakeside lodge.
1,232± acres on the Tennessee River in Decatur County, TN. Ideal hunting habitat. 415± acres of farmland generating $52,000± annually. 100± acre natural cypress lake. Two hours from Nashville.
Plummers Creek Ranch offers lush Bermuda pastures, big western views, and perfectly sized improvements for the cattlemen and weekenders alike. Several ponds, excellent fencing, and fertile soils.
Summer grazing for 250 pair and premium elk hunting near Townsend, Montana. Upper Greyson Creek is a 1,945± (1,305± deeded, 640± leased) acre, well-watered ranch with 1,729± square foot log home.
Cattle ranch and recreational property. Grassy hillsides, pastures, irrigated pivots, hay ground and treed creek and river bottoms. Five and a half miles of Cheyenne River and 13 miles of Rapid Creek.
Just over an hour’s drive west of Albuquerque, NM, the Lobo Ranch spans over 70± square miles offering 46,485± deeded acres of stunningly beautiful landscape and is contiguous to the Marquez Wildlife Area.
The historic Duck Bar Ranch is comprised of 7,005± acres located in the Nebraska Sandhills and features over 6-miles of Gordon Creek. The ranch boasts a carrying capacity of 400 cows with supporting livestock.
Blessed with unequalled views, privacy, recreation, and wildlife within 10 miles of Pagosa Springs, this 9,600± acre holding borders national forest and includes a private lake, ponds, and miles of creeks.