The Bixby Ranch represents a near-perfect 16,896± acre Wyoming operating ranch. It lies in a contiguous block of primarily deeded land (only 2,299± acres of BLM and State Lease) with eight miles of Box Elder Creek, as it leaves the Laramie Mountains, as the focal point. Bixby Ranch fronts the North Platte River for about five miles on its north boundary. It is an easy 35-minute drive into Casper from the ranch’s own exit off of Interstate 25 and only five miles southeast of Glenrock. There are 1200± acres under flood and pivot irrigation which provide a more than adequate feed base for the 600 pairs plus replacement heifers, bulls and horses, which make up the current operation. Seventeen fenced pastures allow rotation if desired. Bixby Ranch has eight homes for both staff and owners including the 100-plus-year-old Carey Mansion and a guest cabin on the river. There are also shops, barns and a new set of Temple Grandin inspired pipe corrals. With over 15 miles of riparian areas, 14 reservoirs and ponds, and a diversity of terrain that runs from deep coulees and canyons to rolling foothills, Bixby Ranch sustains both livestock and wildlife. Hunting for deer, antelope, waterfowl and upland birds is outstanding and there is good fishing for both trout and warm water species. Bixby Ranch was homesteaded by the Carey family and the only other owner has been the Bixby family. It is a completely private, well balanced, foothill operating ranch with extensive recreational amenities.
Just the Facts
- Location – Five miles SE of Glenrock or about 40 miles from Casper’s Natrona County Airport offering full commercial air service, 3.5 hours to Denver
- Acreage – 16,896± total acres (2,299± under State and BLM lease)
- Acreage Breakdown – Acreage includes approximately 1,200± under irrigation and the balance including 15 miles of riparian corridor is classified as native rangeland
- Operation – Currently runs 600 pairs plus replacement heifers, bulls and horses
- Improvements – Highlighted by the Carey Mansion, there are eight houses including a log guest cabin. Working improvements include a new Temple Grandin inspired set of pipe corrals and a full complement of shops and barns
- Water Resources – 15 miles of live streams, 14 reservoirs, and water rights for 1,200± acres
- Wildlife and Recreation – Excellent hunting for white tail deer, mule deer, antelope, waterfowl and upland birds plus fishing on five miles of the North Platte River, Box Elder Creek and some ponds
- History – Homesteaded by the famous Carey family that once ranched throughout central Wyoming, the Bixby family is only the second owner and the Carey Mansion still functions as the owner’s home
- Summary – Classic mostly deeded and well blocked private and truly historic Wyoming foothill ranch- only second owner since homestead
Other PropertiesMore Like This
LEK RanchStory, WY
Located 26 miles south of Sheridan adjoining Bighorn Mountains, 1,359± acre private retreat offers lovely, tasteful three-bedroom home, outbuildings, caretaker’s apartment. Live water, extensive wildlife, and a magical setting.
“Guns, bear spray and handsaws: These aren’t the tools of your average luxury real-estate agent. But ranch brokers like Mr. Murphy, a Bozeman-based partner at Hall & Hall, occupy a unique and increasingly challenging niche in the world of multimillion-dollar property.”
“When it was time to invest in a ranch for our family, we knew we needed to work with Hall and Hall. The expertise is unsurpassed.”
In 1988, Joel Leadbetter became a partner at Hall and Hall where he has been instrumental in completing complicated, high-profile deals such as the recent sale of Texas’ historic 512,000-acre Waggoner Ranch.
“The professionalism, preparation, and overall positive demeanor exhibited… were truly impressive… I have never before worked with a more dedicated, knowledgeable, and level-headed sales professional.”
I had been looking for the right property for several years and Elliott Davenport’s insight into the quail plantation market and his ability to think strategically was instrumental in helping me find our new place. Elliott was helpful on all technical aspects of contracting and due diligence. His post closing help with hiring and contractors made the process much easier as well.
I have purchased 4 ranches through Hall and Hall over the past 20 years, and there is simply no other team in the world like them. They have navigated complexity, professionally attended to every detail, operated with fairness and integrity, and demonstrated an unwavering commitment to me– whether representing me or the person on the other side of the deal.