The Bixby Ranch represents a near-perfect 16,896± acre Wyoming operating ranch. It lies in a contiguous block of primarily deeded land (only 2,299± acres of BLM and State Lease) with eight miles of Box Elder Creek, as it leaves the Laramie Mountains, as the focal point. Bixby Ranch fronts the North Platte River for about five miles on its north boundary. It is an easy 35-minute drive into Casper from the ranch’s own exit off of Interstate 25 and only five miles southeast of Glenrock. There are 1200± acres under flood and pivot irrigation which provide a more than adequate feed base for the 600 pairs plus replacement heifers, bulls and horses, which make up the current operation. Seventeen fenced pastures allow rotation if desired. Bixby Ranch has eight homes for both staff and owners including the 100-plus-year-old Carey Mansion and a guest cabin on the river. There are also shops, barns and a new set of Temple Grandin inspired pipe corrals. With over 15 miles of riparian areas, 14 reservoirs and ponds, and a diversity of terrain that runs from deep coulees and canyons to rolling foothills, Bixby Ranch sustains both livestock and wildlife. Hunting for deer, antelope, waterfowl and upland birds is outstanding and there is good fishing for both trout and warm water species. Bixby Ranch was homesteaded by the Carey family and the only other owner has been the Bixby family. It is a completely private, well balanced, foothill operating ranch with extensive recreational amenities.
Just the Facts
- Location – Five miles SE of Glenrock or about 40 miles from Casper’s Natrona County Airport offering full commercial air service, 3.5 hours to Denver
- Acreage – 16,896± total acres (2,299± under State and BLM lease)
- Acreage Breakdown – Acreage includes approximately 1,200± under irrigation and the balance including 15 miles of riparian corridor is classified as native rangeland
- Operation – Currently runs 600 pairs plus replacement heifers, bulls and horses
- Improvements – Highlighted by the Carey Mansion, there are eight houses including a log guest cabin. Working improvements include a new Temple Grandin inspired set of pipe corrals and a full complement of shops and barns
- Water Resources – 15 miles of live streams, 14 reservoirs, and water rights for 1,200± acres
- Wildlife and Recreation – Excellent hunting for white tail deer, mule deer, antelope, waterfowl and upland birds plus fishing on five miles of the North Platte River, Box Elder Creek and some ponds
- History – Homesteaded by the famous Carey family that once ranched throughout central Wyoming, the Bixby family is only the second owner and the Carey Mansion still functions as the owner’s home
- Summary – Classic mostly deeded and well blocked private and truly historic Wyoming foothill ranch- only second owner since homestead
Other PropertiesMore Like This
Highlighted by a stunning mountain landscape and truly exceptional improvements, 6,343± acre Elk Island Ranch is an amazing four-season recreational paradise, located only 10 minutes from a real town with jet strip.
The 9,565± acre ranch is situated along the banks of the North Loup River in the Nebraska Sandhills. It is a highly diversified and top-notch ranch with excellent improvements, abundant wildlife and excellent rangeland.
Water rights, creeks and wetlands create a wildlife haven. National Forest borders on 1,027± acres in Bitterroot. New barn/shop complex and 2,200 sq. ft. owner’s quarters are ready to go.
Combining Yampa River and mountainous land, this 3,745± acre ranch stands out for its big fish, big game hunting and convenient location within 20 minutes of Steamboat Springs and the regional airport.
Gearhart Ranch is 9,155± acres of productive grasslands in the Davis Mountains. Successful highland cattle operation for over 100 years. Exceptional game, stunning beauty and starry nights.
Encompassing a diverse landscape of 26,056± total acres (20,502± deeded plus 5,554± leased) that are well-blocked and extremely private, Thunder River Ranch combines a large working ranch with outstanding big game hunting and fishing.
Scenic working cattle and recreational ranch located near Big Sky Resort. Recently constructed impeccable custom-designed improvements. Elk, deer, antelope and bear. Ranch is being offered turn-key inclusive of equipment and furnishings.
1,913± acres of some of the most historic and coveted plantation lands in the Red Hills. Incredible location just five miles from downtown Thomasville, Georgia surrounded by other quail plantations.
Turnkey 1,134± acre ranch featuring superb fishing on the Elk River, stream, lake, ponds, irrigated hay meadows, national forest adjacency, remodeled main home with guest, equestrian and support buildings, and location 20 minutes from Steamboat.
Cattle ranch and recreational property. Grassy hillsides, pastures, irrigated pivots, hay ground and treed creek and river bottoms. Five and a half miles of Cheyenne River and 13 miles of Rapid Creek.
End-of-the-road private family retreat on the river encompassed on three sides by USFS in dramatic setting under towering craggy peaks. Thoughtfully executed, classic log improvements. Year-round access 45 miles from Cody.
The historic Duck Bar Ranch is comprised of 7,005± acres located in the Nebraska Sandhills and features over 6-miles of Gordon Creek. The ranch boasts a carrying capacity of 400 cows with supporting livestock.