Situated at the end of a private road adjacent to the Bridger-Teton National Forest, the Flying A Ranch has been in the same family for fifty years functioning both as a family retreat and a successful dude ranch. The setting is sensational backing up to the Gros Ventre Mountain Range and commanding dramatic views of the rugged Wind River Mountains across the Green River Valley to the southeast. Originally opened in 1926 the ranch features a lodge, the famous Guilded Moose Saloon perched on the edge of one of the ranch’s three stocked lakes, eight rustic but well-appointed log guest cabins, a classic western barn, a shop and multiple accommodations for staff. Spread across 360 critical deeded acres with additional grazing for horses, the Flying A offers key access, only 55 miles south and east of Jackson, to over 40 trails into the user-friendly adjacent national forest. Flying A is a perfect size for either a high-end exclusive guest ranch or a private family or corporate retreat.
Just the Facts
• Acreage: 360± critical deeded, blocked and contiguous acres
• Acreage Breakdown: The bulk of the deeded acreage is open meadows adjoining timbered mountain country
• Water: Early water rights for irrigation, three lakes, a well and a mountain stream
• Operational Considerations: As a commercial guest ranch one would have to pursue day-use permits for the adjacent national forest, but as a private retreat one only needs to move in; the property is well maintained and comes fully furnished and equipped with an excellent caretaker in place
• Wildlife: Excellent hunting for deer and elk on or adjacent to the ranch; other wildlife seen on the property – moose, cougar, both species of bear, fox, bobcat, wolf, pine marten, coyote as well as trumpeter swans and Canadian geese
• Improvements: Eight log cabins - most have kitchens and stoves or fireplaces, comfortable porches and heat; also lodge, saloon on the lake, barn, shop and multiple staff quarters
• Conservation Easement: None but terrific potential
• Key Features: Very unique setting adjoining Bridger-Teton National Forest with good private access to user-friendly mountain country behind; well-appointed building compound with outstanding views of two rugged mountain ranges
Other PropertiesMore Like This
LEK RanchStory, WY
Located 26 miles south of Sheridan adjoining Bighorn Mountains, 1,359± acre private retreat offers lovely, tasteful three-bedroom home, outbuildings, caretaker’s apartment. Live water, extensive wildlife, and a magical setting.
Our Hall and Hall broker, Randy Shelton, kept us in the loop as though it were. Our sale hinged on that of larger surrounding parcels, and when an initial offer fell through, Randy went back to the drawing board and found a suitable buyer who shared our values. That meant a lot to us, as our property had been in the family for more than 100 years.
From the first time I walked through the door, I sensed Hall and Hall’s highest goals were to understand who I was and build a relationship, to understand what made my property special, and to find the buyer. Their discipline and focus was apparent. Throughout the entire process, their approach towards reality was different from the experiences I have had previously. Genuine would be the word I would use to describe everyone at Hall and Hall.
I interviewed 4 agents and selected Hall and Hall because of the agency’s reputation for expertise in high end ranch property and global marketing. I had the pleasure of working with Tim Murphy on the sale of a family property in the Paradise Valley, Montana. We believe he represented our family interests well and contributed to the integrity of the property by joining together buyer and seller and a shared love for this special place in our lives.
Bill McDavid was an outstanding and very patient partner in this sale. His expertise in the market and marketing of the property was excellent. I would use him again in a heartbeat to either buy or sell a ranch property.
“Guns, bear spray and handsaws: These aren’t the tools of your average luxury real-estate agent. But ranch brokers like Mr. Murphy, a Bozeman-based partner at Hall & Hall, occupy a unique and increasingly challenging niche in the world of multimillion-dollar property.”
“When it was time to invest in a ranch for our family, we knew we needed to work with Hall and Hall. The expertise is unsurpassed.”
In 1988, Joel Leadbetter became a partner at Hall and Hall where he has been instrumental in completing complicated, high-profile deals such as the recent sale of Texas’ historic 512,000-acre Waggoner Ranch.
“The professionalism, preparation, and overall positive demeanor exhibited… were truly impressive… I have never before worked with a more dedicated, knowledgeable, and level-headed sales professional.”
I had been looking for the right property for several years and Elliott Davenport’s insight into the quail plantation market and his ability to think strategically was instrumental in helping me find our new place. Elliott was helpful on all technical aspects of contracting and due diligence. His post closing help with hiring and contractors made the process much easier as well.
I have purchased 4 ranches through Hall and Hall over the past 20 years, and there is simply no other team in the world like them. They have navigated complexity, professionally attended to every detail, operated with fairness and integrity, and demonstrated an unwavering commitment to me– whether representing me or the person on the other side of the deal.