This exceptionally rare 5± acre national forest inholding is located in central Idaho’s Copper Basin 40 miles northeast of the resort community of Sun Valley. With an elevation of approximately 8,000 feet, Copper Basin is a sparsely populated area of immense natural beauty rimmed by the peaks of the Pioneer and White Knob mountain ranges. Access to the property is either from the Copper Basin Road, a seasonal gravel road that passes along the west side of the property, or from the air by utilizing Copper Basin Airport, a 4,700-foot Forest Service airstrip lying immediately opposite of Copper Basin Road from the property. While a handful of homesteads and small ranches lie along the road to Copper Basin, this property represents the only private residence in the core of the basin. The only other structures within view of the property are several historic miners’ cabins and a small line cabin and corral used by a local grazing association while tending cattle.
The property features three comfortable, ready-to-use cabins each with one bedroom and one bathroom with shower. The main cabin includes a kitchen with propane appliances, living room, dining area, and four-season enclosed porch. The cabins are serviced by a reliable, solar-powered electrical system with a back-up propane generator. Heating is provided by wall-mounted, propane heaters and wood burning stoves. Adjacent to the main cabin is a log storage shed used to house the power system and store tools and ATVs. Horse pens and a loafing shed are located at the southwest corner of the property. A well provides water for domestic purposes and to irrigate lawns surrounding the cabins.
Copper Basin is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise. Activities include hiking to alpine lakes, mountain biking, ski touring, trail riding, snowmobiling, and ATV riding. Hunting in the basin for elk and mule deer is excellent. Other wildlife includes antelope, moose, mountain goats, sage grouse, blue grouse, and raptors and migratory song birds of all varieties. Copper Basin is one of central Idaho’s angling destinations for wild trout and home to Wild Horse Creek, Star Hope Creek and the East Fork Big Lost River (an upper branch of which flows through the east end of the property).
Just the Facts
- 5± acre wilderness retreat surrounded by the Salmon-Challis National Forest
- Stunning scenery reminiscent of Colorado’s North Park and Montana’s Centennial Valley
- Only private residence in the core of Copper Basin
- Three furnished, one-bedroom cabins with easy-to-operate, off-the-grid power system
- Frontage on the upper East Fork Big Lost River
- Copper Basin airfield next to the property and just a brief walk from the cabins
- Miles of hiking and trail riding right from the property
- Excellent big game hunting and wildlife viewing
- Minutes to outstanding trout fishing on the Big Lost River and its tributaries
- An hour’s drive from Ketchum/Sun Valley or a 15-minute flight from Sun Valley’s airport
- Located in Idaho hunt unit 50 and the Pioneer elk zone
- Annual property taxes are approximately $1,460