The 5,917± acre Lower Salmon River Ranch is located in the heart of Idaho’s Hells Canyon complex, one of North America’s most dramatic and diverse ecosystems. Featuring almost 4,000 feet of elevation change, the property extends eastward and upward from the Salmon River through open grasslands and brushy canyons to the timber covered Joseph Plain. Wildlife on the ranch abounds and includes elk, mule deer, cougar, and black bear as well as wild turkey, chukar, and quail. The property enjoys nearly 3 miles of frontage on the Salmon River and boasts the last stretch of accessible shoreline before the river drops into a deep canyon on its way to join the Snake River 5 miles downstream. The river is home to a variety of resident and oceangoing fish, including steelhead, Chinook salmon, sturgeon and smallmouth bass. A year-round creek flows the length of the ranch, while ponds and numerous springs dot the property and provide water for wildlife and livestock. The owner runs from 150 to 175 cows on the ranch from November through June depending on moisture conditions without feeding hay. There are two sets of improvements on the ranch. The first is located next to the creek in the center of the property and consists of the original log homestead cabin along with a small hay barn and storage sheds. The cabin is off-grid, and power is provided by waterwheel and generator. A second home (also off-grid), wooden storage building, and set of working corrals are situated near the main gate at the east end of the ranch. Higher elevations on the property are home to stands of fir and pine that the owner has carefully managed to complement wildlife and maintain old growth trees and forest health. The nearest commercial services and medical facilities are located in Cottonwood, Idaho along US Highway 95 about 35 miles north of the property. Grangeville, Idaho, county seat for Idaho County, and its jet-capable general aviation airport lie 45 miles east of the ranch.
Just the Facts
- 5,917± contiguous, deeded acres
- 35 miles from Cottonwood, Idaho and US Highway 95
- Nearly 3 miles of frontage on the Salmon River with usable, accessible shoreline
- Unsurpassed, rugged beauty with extensive wildlife and water features
- Bordered by other large ranches ensuring insulation and privacy
- Excellent hunting for elk, mule deer, and upland birds
- Supports up to 175 cows from November through June
- Two sets of functional ranch improvements
- Intact timber resource
- Craig Mountain Wildlife Management Area on the opposite side of the river
- Annual property taxes are approximately $3,310
- All mineral rights owned by seller will be conveyed at closing
- Conservation easements cover 3,128± acres and allow for one new homesite along the Salmon River, continued ranching and recreational uses, and unlimited building and improvement out of view of the river
Other PropertiesMore Like This
Fish Creek Ranch 20Carey, ID
Located 40 miles east of Sun Valley’s airport in the foothills of the Pioneer Mountains, this scenic ranch features 1,080± deeded acres, irrigated pastures, functional improvements, and over two miles of year-round streams.
At Hall and Hall, we make your financing needs our top priority. Whether you’re looking for a ranch, farm, or recreational land loan, our competitive rates and equitable minimums ensure you lock in the best financial package available.
With the goal of making land ownership an enjoyable and trouble free experience, Hall and Hall’s management group continues to be a leader in providing management and consulting services to landowners across our region.
Since launching Hall and Hall Auctions in 2010, we have become a leader in investment quality rural real estate auctions and have produced hundreds of millions of dollars in closed transactions.