"Close to the sky, living in heaven" is an expression that captures the true essence of owning and experiencing Soaring Eagle Retreat. This rare and uniquely beautiful 205± acre property sits over 800 feet above the Wood River Valley on the east flank of Sun Valley's world-renowned Bald Mountain Ski Area just two miles south of downtown Ketchum and three miles from the venerable Sun Valley Lodge.
The centerpiece of Soaring Eagle Retreat is a 5,471± square-foot, custom-built log home that is situated to take advantage of unending views of the Pioneer and Boulder Mountains while remaining hidden from the valley below. Built in 1992, the two-story residence was designed for comfortable, casual mountain living and features four bedrooms, three-and-a-half baths, two kitchens, and a three-car garage with shop space. Upon reaching the residence at the end of the private, forest-lined drive, one is immediately struck by the setting's tranquility, seclusion, and splendor. Once past the entrance, a mountain wonderland awaits those craving a slower pace with dreams of living in harmony with nature, skiing fresh powder, hiking, and cycling endless mountain trails.
Surrounded by wildflower meadows and stands of aspen, chokecherry, and Douglas fir, the residence features large windows, balconies, and outdoor spaces to ensure there are no lost views. The interior is spacious and welcoming and highlighted by crafted cabinetry, river stone fireplaces, wood finishes, a mix of wood floors, and cathedral-beamed ceilings. The main portion of the residence includes an expansive master bedroom with a sitting area and en suite bathroom, a second bedroom and adjacent bathroom, two offices (one of which is on the second floor and suitable as a bedroom), a large custom kitchen with a breakfast nook, an open dining room, and a comfortable living room with French doors that give way to inviting patio space and a lovely wildlife and garden pond. Above the garage is a separate suite that can serve as a caretaker’s quarters or extended space for family and guests. This wing features two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, and a sitting area. The owner’s wonderful, well-tended gardens, which include a small greenhouse, are located on the west side of the residence, and a stone wall protects flowers, shrubs, and produce from wind gusts and wildlife while maintaining the sun’s warmth and radiance. Overall, the residence represents an idyllic retreat with a thoughtful layout that enables family and friends to gather easily or retire to quiet spaces.
Although only ten minutes from the shops and restaurants of downtown Ketchum, Soaring Eagle Retreat feels as if it's a world away. This alpine sanctuary offers the ultimate privacy, seclusion, and the chance to personally enjoy nature. There is also convenient access to the best of Idaho’s outdoor pursuits. Exceptional trout fishing is found on the nearby Big Wood River and further south on Silver Creek, while there is direct access from the property to thousands of acres on Bald Mountain for hiking, cycling, and skiing. In addition, for the adventurous off-piste skier, the property presents incredible ski-in/ski-out opportunities utilizing the recently developed Sunrise terrain expansion just west of the property. With its unique mountaintop setting and an unsurpassed location, Soaring Eagle Retreat has all of the desired luxuries and amenities that make the property the rarest of finds in one of the West’s iconic resort areas.
Offered in cooperation with Randy Flood of Windermere Real Estate/SV, LLC.
Just the Facts
- 205± deeded, contiguous acres
- Located ten minutes south of Ketchum and the Sun Valley Resort and less than 20 minutes from the airport in Hailey
- Unique mountaintop setting above the valley floor with complete privacy and expansive views of the Pioneer and Boulder Mountains
- Idyllic mountain retreat highlighted by a 5,471± square-foot, four-bedroom log home with a wildlife pond, well-tended garden beds, and ample patio space
- Serviced by buried utilities, a domestic well, and a private septic system
- Diverse alpine landscape with grassy meadows, sage-covered hillsides, aspen, and chokecherry stands, and conifer forests
- Borders large private tracts and lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management and the State of Idaho
- Adjacent to Sun Valley’s Bald Mountain Ski Area and the new Sunrise terrain expansion with the potential for ski-in/ski-out access
- Easy access to trout fishing on the Big Wood River and cycling, hiking, and skiing on Sun Valley's world-class, all-season trail network
- Abundant wildlife includes elk, mule deer, forest grouse, eagles, hawks, and migratory songbirds
- Elevation is approximately 6,500 feet
- Blaine County property taxes are approximately $14,800
- No conservation easement
At Hall and Hall, we make your financing needs our top priority. Whether you’re looking for a ranch, farm, or recreational land loan, our competitive rates and equitable minimums ensure you lock in the best financial package available.
With the goal of making land ownership an enjoyable and trouble free experience, Hall and Hall’s management group continues to be a leader in providing management and consulting services to landowners across our region.
Since launching Hall and Hall Auctions in 2010, we have become a leader in investment quality rural real estate auctions and have produced hundreds of millions of dollars in closed transactions.