This 121± acre mountain retreat is situated in a magnificent alpine setting surrounded by national forest lands 20 miles northeast of the small farming and ranching community of Mackay. The ranch is located between Sun Valley, Idaho and Jackson Hole, Wyoming, within easy reach of either community. Idaho Falls and its commercial airport lie less than two hours southeast of the property, while Salt Lake City is four hours to the south. Access to the property is from scenic Pass Creek Road, a seasonal gravel mountain road that links Mackay and the Big Lost Valley with the Little Lost Valley to the east.
Originating in the 11,000-foot peaks of the Lost River Range, year-round Wet Creek meanders through the property for over a mile providing refuge for wild trout, including native bull trout, and other wildlife that take advantage of the stream’s lush bottomlands and riparian corridor. Wet Creek continues past the ranch on its way to the Little Lost River 15 miles downstream offering small stream trout fishing along its length and in its many associated beaver ponds. Hilts Creek is a small tributary that flows through a stand of Douglas fir on its way to joining Wet Creek just below the owner’s cabin.
Representing remarkable vision and skilled craftsmanship, the two-story, cabin-style log home on Wet Creek Ranch is unparalleled among Idaho backcountry properties in terms of quality, comfort, and design. The home is perched above Wet Creek in a secluded setting toward the west end the ranch and offers amazing views of the surrounding peaks. It consists of 2,500± square feet of living area along with extensive decks and porches (the largest of which is screened and covered) and features three bedrooms, three full bathrooms, abundant living space, a large kitchen with Peruvian granite countertops, bar area, mud room with washer/dryer, and a large custom stone fireplace. An easy-to-operate, solar-powered electrical system with back-up generator provides reliable power, while a satellite internet system ensures ease of communication. Furnishings are included in the offering.
The Salmon-Challis National Forest encompasses the property and provides miles of hiking, horseback riding, big game hunting, ATV riding, and other backcountry recreation activities. Wildlife in this part of central Idaho is varied and abundant and includes elk, mule deer, mountain goat, moose, antelope, black bear, mountain lion, raptors, and upland game birds. The Big Lost River near Mackay is only a short drive from the ranch and is a regional destination for those seeking blue ribbon trout fishing.
Just the Facts
- 121± acre retreat surrounded by the Salmon-Challis National Forest
- Jaw-dropping views of the peaks of the Lost River and Lemhi Mountain Ranges
- One of just a few private inholdings within the entire 80-mile length of the Lost River Range (Idaho's highest mountains)
- Beautiful, furnished, three-bedroom log home with high-end finishes and reliable off-the-grid power and communications systems
- Over a mile of Wet Creek plus Hilts Creek
- Elevation is approximately 7,500 feet
- Spectacular sunrises and sunsets
- Miles of hiking and trail riding right from the property plus big game hunting and wildlife viewing
- Abundant trout fishing opportunities in the area
- Located in Idaho hunt unit 51 and the Lemhi elk zone
- Annual property taxes are approximately $2,100
- 75 miles from Ketchum/Sun Valley and 100 miles from Idaho Falls